Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Withdrawal in babies

(4 Posts)
Babykmum18 Sat 10-Aug-13 08:30:30

Hi I'm looking for some advice, I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant and in hospital due to sever back pain but no body knows why and are really just guessing. I can't walk further than about 8 ft. Have been in mat for over a week and I'm really worried about the medication I am on for pain relief which is 10 mg oramorph 4 times a day, strong co coda mol 4 times away and 10 mg diazepam 3 times a day. This is not helping me get any better and I'm still in pain. More to the point I'm really worried about my baby withdrawing. This is my second baby and I had nothing like this with him. Also just put me on ammitripaline. I would b very great full for any help or advice thanks x

triballeader Sat 17-Aug-13 09:41:43

In honesty the best person to talk to is either your ob's consultant [assuming you have one with those drugs] or midwife and ask if you can have a chat with a NNICU peaditrician about your concerns for your baby and how the hospital will provide support for your baby.
I do not use oramorph but do use a range of hefty drugs for Trimalgic Autonomic Cephaligia; whilst I was in the high risk pregnancy unit one of the mums who had an addiction to heroin had her baby a little early. Poor mite was very jittery, could not be handled for a few days and was very distressed and cried incessantly. His mum found the fact it was her drug use that had caused her baby so much pain very hard to cope with. This baby had been severly affected and needed to be cared for in the intensive care section till the drugs had worked out of their system. Other babies with less exposure may just be fractcious and not able to sleep and need TLC. It may be possible to plan a gradual reduction of your own drug use prior to a planned birth again chat with the hospital staff. If you have not already had a referal ask if you can be ref'd to a pain clinic. I have found that very helpful in coping with chronic and severe pain.

Reenypip Mon 02-Sep-13 10:12:24

Hiya,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm on much stronger dose than you, for nearly 7 years, and I've had my second baby this year. The medical staff keep the baby in a little longer just to monitor them, but my children had mild withdrawal effects and didn't need treatment.
Their symptoms were, irritable, shaking, and hard to settle. The worse day for my first was 3-4 days after, and worse for my second at 2-4 days, then they were fine.

Reenypip Mon 02-Sep-13 10:16:33

Yes another way, you can gradual come off the meds before you give birth, which will reduce any possible withdrawal even further.
I've heard breast feeding can help too, as the baby will get a very small bit in their milk which can help, instead of going to zero straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now