Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I got my Aspergers diagnosis today

(10 Posts)
Cailleach Thu 31-Jan-13 18:27:07

Well, that was surprisingly easy; no muss, no fuss, as they say. Took about three months from start to finish.

I am posting this because I know some of you were thinking of being referred for a diagnosis and you may want to know what the process involves.

I wrote a letter to my GP, (outlining my lifelong difficulties which are mainly social but also sensory plus possible signs of a genetic link), who read it in silence and then said "hmmm, yes I think you definitely are." Was then seen by a counsellor who asked me lots of questions, also said "hmmm, yes I think you are too." Was then referred to a psychologist chappy who went through my whole life history (took my Mum along and he asked her lots of stuff too, mainly about babyhood / childhood.)

And then he said "yep, you're ASD alright..."

So there we are. Hey ho. Now being referred for something ominous-sounding called "post diagnosis counselling".

Was such a huge relief when he told me: it does make so many things startlingly clear. Also feel a bit of a fool that I have nearly got to 36 years of age without realising all this. Quel muppet, eh? (Apparently this lack of insight into yourself is common with ASD.)

I feel a bit shell-shocked really, even though I knew what he was going to say.

Think the gin may come out tonight: I may even whack some lemon in it.

x
C

frazzledbutcalm Thu 31-Jan-13 22:46:45

Not sure whether to say congratulations or commiserations blush
I wonder why the process takes so long for children if your diagnosis was so quick?
Can I ask what your 'symptoms' are? Just intrigued.

Enjoy your Gin wink

Cailleach Thu 31-Jan-13 23:17:49

I believe it takes longer for children as they still have a lot of developing to do and can sometimes "outgrow" some or all of their symptoms. Generally children will be observed over a period of time to see how they progress before a final diagnosis is made.

Whereas a 36 year old who has had lifelong problems... well..!

As for symptoms, long story short: issues with eye contact (hate it), very poor facial recognition, verbal processing delay, struggle to remember people's names, can't read emotions in people unless REALLY obvious (crying etc), tendency to take things literally, struggle to understand metaphors, problems making and keeping friends, hyperlexia, dyspraxia (can't ride a bike, fine motor control appalling, handwriting cause for concern at school as basically illegible) lifelong bowel issues (IBS and constipation so chronic I had a prolapse BEFORE I had kids) hypersensitivity to light and sound, very poor sleeper, don't like being touched unexpectedly (firm touch fine, light touch horrible and makes me recoil) repetitive diet (will eat same thing for days and weeks on end, sometimes at every meal as well) repetitive behaviours (I have various stims which are done in private but need to be done for me to de-stress) fixation on patterns, irritated by asymmetry in said patterns, toe-walking (worse as a kid but still do this as an adult) colour / object sorting behaviours as child and adult and the list goes on and on, and frankly I will stop now as I think you are probably bored.

Also: family traits (VERY odd gran, mother and sister and brother with issues too.)

Cornycabernet Thu 31-Jan-13 23:20:36

What prompted you to get the dx
how did you find school?

Cailleach Thu 31-Jan-13 23:25:51

Mainly for my own peace of mind, so I could finally say "this is why I am why I am" and stop beating myself up for it...and for my family, who are now looking at their own issues with fresh eyes.

School was very difficult and stressful for me.

Cailleach Thu 31-Jan-13 23:26:17

that should be "this is why I am the way I am"

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Feb-13 11:03:22

Oh my cail .. I'm surprised you waited so long for the dx! I'm pleased for you, I think it helps to have dx just so you can make sense of it all and 'just know' for definite. smile

Cailleach Fri 01-Feb-13 11:54:48

Yeah I feel a bit stupid now, but I didn't realise these things indicated a problem. Apparently a lack of insight into your own feelings and an inability to imagine what life is like for other people are key autistic traits, and I'm afraid I have both of those issues in spades.

Until I saw it all written down in black and white, and ticked myself off against nearly every symptom in the list, I had no idea that these things were a problem as such: I assumed most or all people had these difficulties.

That probably sounds very odd, but that's how it is / was for me.

ineedaspartame Tue 05-Feb-13 19:24:36

It's relief to know there are other Mums out there with AS apart from me. I was diagnosed at 8 and went through the whole special education system and was sent away to a residential placement at 18 for 3 years where I got pregnant. I lost my first child because I was automatically deemed incapable because of my AS. However, I had a daughter under a different local authority and went on to keep her and proved I WAS capable. Parents with AS can get mistreated and pushed with eugenics. I'm so happy that this hasn't happened to you. In a way I think it's better to get diagnosed at a later age. You have learn't to be independent and have had an ordinary education and it wasn't known when you had your children.

Cailleach Wed 06-Feb-13 18:17:59

Sorry to hear about your problems,*Aspartame*, glad things are working out with your second child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now