Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blue Badge assessment - what to expect?

(15 Posts)
greenfolder Fri 21-Jun-13 22:13:12

Devon-not a blue badge idea but does he have a phone? Could he take a photo when he parks? Have a friend with very poor memory- he photos every part of his day!

Gloriousconfusion Tue 04-Jun-13 14:49:19

I've had a blue badge for 6 years. Now, suddenly, my application for a blue badge was refused, after an assessment. I told the therapist assessor that she was seeing me on a good day, and that my arthritic condition fluctuates, but she took no notice, after a very peremptory test. I appealed, sending in a doctor's letter, but was still refused. Does anyone know what I do next? I can assure you that now I am six years older,with a permanent disability, it hasn't suddenly got better - I wish it had.

BoffinMum Sun 02-Jun-13 12:21:17

Devon it is up to the DVLA in conjunction with doctors to decide who drives, not Blue Badge providers.

devonsommer Tue 14-May-13 14:17:41

My husband has a severe short term memory, he is allowed to drive (only automatic cars) and took him 7.5yrs to learn!!!! The problem we face is that he will drive to a shopping area different town ( we live in a rural location) and park, go off and come back to goodness knows where- he has no idea where he has parked the car. I get a phone call to help look for his car......the last time we could find it for 5 days!!!! We think that it would save both him and i a lot of hassle and time to park in the disabled section, since his is disabled and gets all of the payment benefits and his doctor and consultant says he isn't fit for work due to the short term memory.
We have applied for a blue badge and they said that if he is that bad perhaps he shouldn't be driving.......Any ideas....please

Wilmaflinstone Fri 29-Mar-13 16:36:00

I add, re: blue badge, that I get very angry at the behaviour of some blue badge holders. I have seen people race around a supermarket in the wrong direction against the flow of traffic to grab a disabled space before others get it. I have also witnessed people sitting in a disabled space eating food, without any consideration for others waiting. This apalls me, & gives badge users generally a bad name. If I am not getting out of the car, or if I want to go & eat a packed lunch, I make sure I do not take up a valued space.

Wilmaflinstone Fri 29-Mar-13 16:29:45

I went for a blue badge assessment this week. The assessor was polite & efficient yet no compassion or understanding of pain was demonstrated. I have osteoarthritis in both knees & osteoporosis in my left hip/lower spine.
I work 30 hrs. a week, which is on my application form along with my age (58 next month) yet she asked me if I am retired. My pain is constant & I have difficulty walking short distances. The assessor seemed to assume my husband is retired as he was with me, although we had both booked a holiday day from our respective jobs. I have no wish to claim financial benefits as I am able to work, & have excellent employers & colleagues who support me; in turn I do my best to support them in various ways. I do benefit from a badge though, & it helps with my work activities at times.
At no stage during the assessment was I asked about my pain. When I mentioned pain with regard to the odd occasion when I have a 'good' day & try to shop (during the walking/stair part of the assessment), stating that part way around a supermarket I get hot & grumpy (meaning due to pain) she retorted 'Don't we all!'.
I believe these professionals & assessments are meant to support & enable rather than disable. I can't say she was rude, just distant & I don't the assessment was appropriate or holistic.
Will I get a renewal badge? I don't know. I can't say how I think she will 'judge' me. I have to wait 2 weeks for a result.
I don't think these assessments are particularly well done. They seem to vary from area to area, & the criteria appears to be interpreted loosely & without consideration of an individual's needs. The whole system has been poorly planned & is, in my opinion, a step backwards.

debs1234 Fri 08-Mar-13 09:27:32

I really think the rules need to be looked at again for the issue of badges.I dont have a walking disability but was born without a full left arm.I am therefore not able to have a badge but do the authorities realise what an inconvenience this can be for driving and parking??

Grockle Thu 01-Nov-12 15:44:50

An update: It was succesful. Phew!

Occupational therapist was lovely. She asked me loads of questions, how far I could walk, how long I'd used my stick etc. I think it helped that I was having a not so good day. The lady didn't ask me to walk but saw me go from reception to her room (about 15m, I guess).

weegiemum Fri 26-Oct-12 12:38:21

I think you have to approach these things as if it was one of your bad days. I was very lucky that I got blue badge and DLA on application with no medicals, but my condition is also very variable (I get treatment with immunoglobulins once a month so have 2 good weeks, one ok week, one nasty week when I can hardly walk. I only use my badge when things are hard).

cheekydevil Tue 23-Oct-12 16:15:41

Hmmm, ok. They ask a lot of questions about conditions, treatments and medication. Ask things about domestic chores, work etc. The assessment is done by a physio so they do understand what you describe.
The embarrassing part is the physio has to witness you walking around the building which I hated as I don't like people looking at me and I felt really self conscious.
Assessment took about an hour and I have to wait to hear in the post which could take couple of weeks. Bit inconvenient as my badge ran out beginning of month.
I can honestly say I have no idea whether they will renew my badge as physios always IME think that your condition will improve with physio and it has never worked for me personally.

Grockle Tue 23-Oct-12 14:02:12

Mine is next week. How did it go?

cheekydevil Tue 23-Oct-12 12:44:18

Have you been to your assessment yet? I had mine yesterday.

Grockle Thu 18-Oct-12 21:29:54

My symptoms vary too, which is why I'm worried. I was refused on the grounds that I do not have a permanent disability. According to the NHS, it IS permanent. Some days I am able to walk short distances (but in pain) and other days, I use a wheelchair. The new system looks shit tbh.

cheekydevil Thu 18-Oct-12 21:25:05

I have been told I have to go for assessment as my badge is due for renewal and you now only get them automatically if you are on DLA.
Have no idea what to expect either other than I am concerned as my symptoms are sporadic and only my old GP knew what I go through so am afraid that if I am having a good day I will not get one which will mean I will no longer be able to do my job.

Grockle Thu 18-Oct-12 19:21:50

I applied for a blue badge and was refused one so appealed, explaining why I felt I needed one. I've now been sent an appointment for an assessment. I have no idea what will happen. Has any been through one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now