Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DLA and exercise question.

(7 Posts)
LadySybildeChocolate Tue 07-Aug-12 19:30:36

smile Thank you. I know it's only £20, but I wouldn't want to worry. I can't stay at home on the sofa for the rest of my life though.

NettOlympicSuperstar Tue 07-Aug-12 19:27:20

If you don't get anything for mobility I'd think you'd be OK.
You should be anyway, illnesses can fluctuate, mine certainly does, I can see why you're worried though.

LadySybildeChocolate Tue 07-Aug-12 19:24:22

I don't get any mobility, despite having nerve damage in my legs (pins and needles and burning mostly). It hurts 99% of the time, I've learned to block it out.

LadySybildeChocolate Tue 07-Aug-12 19:22:46

When I was awarded it I was working full time in a job where I was on my feet all day (NHS). I work at home now and my job isn't at all physical. I should be able to manage it, I'd like to try, I just don't want to get into trouble.

Thank you for answering smile

Luckystar96 Tue 07-Aug-12 19:15:09

I guess it depends on what you've said on the form re how much activity you can manage without exacerbating your symptoms. I'm not an expert on MS but have ME and get DLA higher rate mobility. Wouldnt a more gentle regular exercise be more beneficial to you than an intensive session once a week? Sorry cant be more help, I do appreciate the problems of illness which fluctuates and qualifying for benefits.

LadySybildeChocolate Tue 07-Aug-12 18:55:22

bump smile

LadySybildeChocolate Sun 05-Aug-12 22:14:47

I have relapsive/remissive MS and I get the lower rate of DLA due to the fatigue it causes and nerve damage I'd like to join the local hockey club and practice once a week for an hour as I need some exercise and I don't want my health to deteriorate further, however, I'm worried about the implications of this. Is it OK to do this without being accused of being a benefit cheat? confused Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now