Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Question about Aspergers

(6 Posts)
msrantsalot Sun 15-Jul-12 19:24:28

Is being afraid of water and not liking to go swimming a trait of AS?

TheLightPassenger Sun 15-Jul-12 20:43:12

possibly, it could be some sort of sensory aversion to water and/or the acoustics of a swimming pool. But I presume there must be a bit more to it than a swimming phobia?

msrantsalot Tue 17-Jul-12 20:08:57

Well I want to know whether I can coax boyfriend into a pool holiday cos he always just does the holiday cottage thing and my DCs are swimming mad and would not consider a hol that doesnt have swimming and waterparks as the centre of it all.

TheLightPassenger Tue 17-Jul-12 22:27:45

see if you can compromise. maybe he could sit with a coffee and mind the bags while you are swimming with the kids, maybe he could cope with an outdoor pool better than a covered one (acoustics). See if he can articulate what he doesn't like.

SilverSword Thu 02-Aug-12 13:04:14

Hi msrantsalot,

As someone with Asperger's, I personally am not bothered by water, nor its sensation on my skin. However, each person with Asperger's has their own sensory likes and dislikes. This is not strictly a trait of Asperger's, because some people love water and its sensations, others don't, and other's are in the middle. Asperger's presents itself differently in everyone. smile It is possible your OH could have had a bad experience with water earlier in life. In either case, I would urge him to see his GP for a referral for a diagnosis, if he has not received one yet. smile

Niome Sun 21-Oct-12 20:30:19

My son has asperger's and has never had a fear of water....but I know a child that was diagnosed with autism who wouldn't go anywhere near water...would scream and struggle....it took a few years and some professional help to overcome it. Autism covers a wide range of issues......if the water is proving to be a real problem then I would talk to your doctor so that your OH can be diagnosed. When my son was told he had asperger's......he actually began to feel more confident about himself....he read up on it and began to understand why he did certain things etc. Knowledge is power and can help you overcome many things.....speak to your doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now