Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Accessible family days out.

(6 Posts)
SunnyCarrie Tue 03-Jul-12 14:16:37

Hello yummy mummies and delightful daddies.

So yeah, you know who I am, lady, with son 17 months old, Juvenile arthritis in every one of my bones bla bla bla yawn.

So I want to go somewhere fun! Shout ideas out to me. My criteria is: no steps, disabled bay parking, fun stuff for a toddler to see or do if take some friend with me she can help me put child on any ride related or park related items.

From zoos that are good to gardens, to beaches to museums. I need to know wherever you are in the country some creaky parents good family days out.

This is mostly for my own family's reasons as am bored of being bed bound and when can get out of plaster for the treat of the year I want to see a bit of life with my son before the next round of operations. Also you know I write a blog and my next blog is going to be on accessible family days out so info not just for me but others too.

Cheers,

Carrie x

disabledpositiveparent.blogspot.co.uk/

chuckeyegg Wed 04-Jul-12 08:11:24

Whipsnade Zoo has pretty good disabled access their website is very thorough in detailing disabled access. This is in Bedfordhire.

Coro Wed 04-Jul-12 12:23:48

Legoland! We have annual passes as the staff were so helpful and supportive. Get there in the morning though to ensure a disabled parking space.

SunnyCarrie Thu 05-Jul-12 14:33:23

Thanks lovely mummies.

I thought about us visiting Legoland actually and feel confident about doing it when not bed bound in plaster etc. You have given me the confidence!

It feels really important to me to start getting a resource together for disabled parents that isn't focused on medical help or Occupational therapist help, you know just helping with normal parenting such as finding accessible places around the UK.

I also plan to check out the Eden Project and @Bristol science and nature museum. Bristol zoo is good, nice grounds and ramped access to all animal enclosures but some of the doors to open into enclosures are a little heavy so if your muscle strength you may need to consider taking a mate but a mate gets in free so not hard to persuade a friend to go usually!

Many thanks guys

Carrie x

disabledpositiveparent.blogspot.co.uk/

chuckeyegg Thu 05-Jul-12 16:55:45

Hello Carrie. I hope you don't mind I've put a link to the thread on special needs children board. They've probably got loads of good places they know. smile

CMOTDibbler Thu 05-Jul-12 17:07:27

Eden is OK if you are a wheelchair user or have a mobility scooter as it is paved, no step paths, but the paths are fairly steep.

@Bristol would be fine with mobility problems, but it can get very crowded, and things are close together.

West Midland Safari park is good - the main part is driving, or you can do the minibus tour (don't think that is wheelchair accessible though), and its step free. Lots of rides for little ones, which you don't need to lift them onto

You looked good on the BBC website today Carrie smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now