Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby monitor recommendations for a partially-deaf mother

(10 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Sat 30-Jun-12 23:50:08

that sounds good, thanks for the info! it's quite a bit cheaper than the video one as well smile

i'm looking forward to getting gadgets smile well i'm hoping i'm entitled to them anyway, i'm deaf as a post these days! i'm going to start learning sign language again soon, did my level one ages ago but really want to do level 2 now. hoping to be able to teach DD when she's a bit older, i have a feeling it may be needed!

TheMysteryCat Fri 29-Jun-12 20:36:27

i can second the BT 250 as well. Visual and vibration indicators.

it does bounce around on tables etc if my DS is screaming.

Melawen Fri 29-Jun-12 20:31:34

ohwhatapalaver the BT monitor is the digital 250 - it's nothing special, i.e. isn't specifically designed for deaf folk but I bought it because I wanted to have a visual sound indicator as well as my pager so that I didn't have to wait until she yells before responding. I'm not sure that's very clear but my DD might just be talking to herself and not setting the alarm off but the BT monitor means that I can see that she's awake and can go and get her rather than waiting till she's upset. (besides which, it gives me room temperature!)

I thought about a video monitor, but the simple light indicator in the BT 250 suits me and I can catch it out of the corner of my eye whereas I'd have to be glued to the video!

I too didn't realise how much help I could get, a friend told me that I could get equipment from them - so I now have a baby alarm, door bell thingie and fire alarm - all connected to the same day pager and night time monster bed shaker!! grin

Not sure what other tips I can offer, I'm just wondering what will happen when DD is older and needs to learn to face Mummy when she talks to me or can't just shout from the other room!

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 29-Jun-12 14:46:26

argh, silly laptop, didn't meant to press post! was meant to say if you have any tips or recommendations i'd love to hear them. i've been deaf for years but only contacted my social services team the other day and didn't realise how much help i might be able to get! was quite pleased with their help on the initial phone call so looking forward to hearing back from them smile

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 29-Jun-12 14:42:49

hi, i was about to post something very similar. i was wondering which bt monitor you use melawen? i'm waiting for social services to get back to me about a vibrating pad and other gadgets but need something in the mean time.

i'm moderately deaf but cant hear our avent monitor at all at night without my hearing aids. DD has just gone in to her own room so i'm sleeping with one of my hearing aids in until i get something more appropriate, which is not very confortable at all! was looking at the bt digital video monitor but it has mixed reviews so not sure whether to buy it or not.

StuntNun Thu 21-Jun-12 16:11:34

Thanks Melawen it looks like the add on vibrating pad they have would be great but it's expensive. It's annoying because I'm actually only deaf on one side so if only I could learn to sleep on my left side I would be fine! But I always turn onto my right in the night sad

Melawen Thu 21-Jun-12 09:07:29

Well in that case why not have a look at the Connevans website - they sell all sorts of bells and buzzers and things for people with a hearing loss.

StuntNun Wed 20-Jun-12 23:55:14

Thanks for the advice Melawen. I'm not sure how much help I'm entitled to as I'm not registered disabled or anything so I think I'll have to pay for anything I need. The ENT clinic detected a 25% hearing loss in one ear but then discharged me after an MRI established that I didn't have a tumour. It's a shame as I would have liked to have lip reading lessons seeing as I can't have a conversation when there's any background noise at all. I'm also fed up talking to my kids because I can't hear them so it gets very frustrating.

Melawen Tue 19-Jun-12 23:00:30

Hi, I am profoundly deaf and have been supplied with equipment from the Hearing and Vision Team in the county - it is a Bellman 868 and really does the job - vibrates when DD yells (I also rely on the BT monitor which gives me a visual signal as well as sound).

The Bellman was provided free of charge so you may want to contact your local hearing and vision team - mine were very good. (the BT be I bought myself)

Having said that - the Bellman vibrating pad that goes under the pillow is quite strong and may wake your DH anyway!! grin

StuntNun Sun 17-Jun-12 11:17:11

Hello! I have had substantial hearing loss in my left ear since my last baby and I cannot hear when I sleep on my right side, for example I wouldn't be able to hear the alarm clock set at a normal level. If I set the baby monitor I already have at a high enough level then it would wake me up but it would be deafening for DH.

I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a baby monitor that would be suitable for my situation, so that I could attend to the baby in the night without having to disturb DH. I have seen an add-on vibrating pad for the Tomy baby monitors but it is extremely expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now