Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone used reins?

(7 Posts)
beabea81 Tue 10-Apr-12 12:33:46

Hi everyone, have not been on for a while as health has not been too clever. Lo is now 1 year old & loves to stand & try to walk with support. Unfortunately I just don't have the strength to do it for v long with her myself, plus it is so painful on my back, so she ends up screaming with frustration that mummy has to stop her fun after a couple of minutes!

Has anyone used walking reins & what would you recommend? I've seen some called walking wings, & also a moonwalker harness which has a soft flexible handle/bar at the top that the parent can hold on to to support lo. So you can stand at normal level without bending down to help lo walk iukwim!!

Has anyone used these or have any tips? x

flowerflo Tue 10-Apr-12 12:44:37

No tips I'm afraid but I shall watch this thread with interest. Dd is only 12 weeks old but I was planning on using reins once she started walking as I have strength/pain problems too. Moonwalker sound good, I'll google that now smile

CMOTDibbler Tue 10-Apr-12 12:49:10

I wouldn't use those - you'll put too much strain on yourself. What can work really well though, is a toy pushchair - they can push it around and it just gives enough stability to let them walk. And they fold up really small, so can be taken out

SunnyCarrie Tue 03-Jul-12 15:11:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SelfishWife Tue 03-Jul-12 22:26:50

Another option is the luvion baby walker, couldn't post link on phone

flowerflo Fri 06-Jul-12 15:31:54

Thanks selfish wife. The luvion baby walker looks great. Just what I need. My dd is 6 months now and loves standing up so won't be too long before I need one smile

PigeonPie Sat 07-Jul-12 22:17:17

I used reins from once my DSs were walking outside. I have mobility problems rather than strength, but they were invaluable. I can't run off after them and they had to learn to walk with me, so whenever we went outside - even if it was in the car, I put them on so that they got used to them and they were ready for wherever we were when we got to where we were going.

We would usually take the pushchair too so that I had something to lean on and have somewhere to put things.

If we were somewhere where they could run about, I'd just tuck them up and give them some freedom, but otherwise, they learnt to hold the push chair or my hand and walk with me, but if they fell or tripped it was easier to pick them up.

It has paid dividends and now at 6 and 4 they know when they can run and when they have to stay with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now