Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blood test question

(5 Posts)
violetsunflower Mon 26-Sep-16 11:51:26

I've posted in health but this might be a better place!

I've been having various issues for a while and often get my 'blood sugars' (I know no more than this) done while checking other things.

I didn't know it was going to be done this morning when I had some tests, but it occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn't be eating before the test?

Or is it just a screening thing they do anyway?

I think I had a different diabetes marker done a coupe of years ago which was really good so I don't think it's an issue, however one of the issues has been weight loss or not really gaining and fatigue hence checking that, plus I have hypothyroidism so could be linked 'autoimmunely'.

violetsunflower Mon 26-Sep-16 18:11:12

Bump?

earthmoon Mon 03-Oct-16 08:18:40

If they wanted a fasting blood test they should have told you and written it on the form. In the last two years I been doing my blood test without fasting. However, I have had it for 9yr now. There might be diffrent procedure for people who are being tested for it and people with established diabetes

lynseyc83 Mon 03-Oct-16 08:24:53

There are different ways to test for diabetes

It used to be a random glucose- which can be effected by what you have eaten so if it's raised they will
Ask you to do a fasting one
The favoured test at the moment is called a Hba1c- which tests your average sugar level for the the last 3 months - no need to fast
Then there is the glucose tolerance test a lot of people have when they are pregnant
Hope this helps
Lynsey x

goose1964 Fri 04-Nov-16 18:41:48

They don't normally ask you to fast before blood tests now, they will inform you if you need a fasting test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now