Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blood sugar meter.

(4 Posts)
ThreeSheetsToTheWind Sat 17-Sep-16 20:41:52

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am so short of time, what with work and such, but I was recently diagnosed as T2. I am trying to control it via my diet. I asked my surgery for a blood sugar meter but I was told I don't meet their 'criterior'. When I asked what their criterior was the receptionist could not tell me apart from that I needed to be on insulin. However, my brother is T2 and has a meter and not on insulin.

I understand that this may be due to financial constraints but I wondered who else had had the same response?

gamerchick Sat 17-Sep-16 20:45:12

I think my husband bought his. Is that an option?

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 17-Sep-16 20:50:45

Check what the nice guidelines are but it might be right.

It is completely ridiculous though because how can you control it via diet if you have no idea what the foods you are eating are doing to your blood glucose!

You can buy a meter and they are inexpensive. But the test strips are pretty dear. However you could buy a weeks worth (pot of 50) and use it to test before meals and 2 hours after meals to check on the effect particular foods are having.

Good luck b

ThreeSheetsToTheWind Sun 18-Sep-16 07:09:23

Yes, I could buy one, was trying to avoid having to shell out but it looks as if I will have to. I might wait and ask the Dr. instead of the nurse. Thanks for your responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now