In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

live in carers ..experience?

(14 Posts)
nearlyhellokitty Sat 06-Feb-16 18:17:32

hello all
my mother has been diagnosed with alzheimers. she's still pretty independent but is becoming increasingly erratic.
We were wondering about a live in carer, mainly to keep an overall eye on how everything is going with the house, ensure food, eventually more personal care. Would not involve cleaning since there is a cleaner.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas how much we'd need to budget for a live-in carer in London?

Many thanks

nearlyhellokitty Sun 07-Feb-16 10:44:07

bump!

nearlyhellokitty Sun 07-Feb-16 19:14:43

Anyone?

Helenluvsrob Sun 07-Feb-16 19:23:15

We had live in care for end of life for mum.

What I didn't know is they expect to sleep most of the night and have several breaks in the day . This was rubbish provision for mum - we ended up wit a waking night carer too.

If you mum is only just going from independent to needing help it would be great though.

If she needs more of an " au pair for grown ups" just yo almost be her responsible adult you might do well with a carer from abroad. My sis lives in an expat area in Spain. Some of the young girls in their 20s come back to the uk to do " care" work, though they aren't trained. They function as a helpful live in companion for say 3 months then return for 3 months .

That may be worth a look

cecilelliott Tue 16-Feb-16 19:46:23

Yes, ditto to the au pair for the elderly. My father has an uncommon form of dementia, which means he is has little short-term memory and mobility issues. We were desperate to keep him out of a care home/hospital, so also went with the "au pair for the elderly" option. He is now looked after by a wonderful Romanian guy, who wants to do nursing eventually, and couldn't be nicer. He lives in and is much cheaper than an "agency" carer, although obviously has a few hours' off a day and a day off a week, which need to be covered by family members. Good Luck!

nearlyhellokitty Tue 16-Feb-16 20:02:35

Thanks both! really appreciate it. I guess there are some reputable agencies for this?

OliviaB25 Tue 01-Mar-16 16:01:45

I'm from London and we had a live-in carer for my mum who has Alzheimer's for a few months before she moved into a home as I was at University - we went with a friend of my aunt's but it was definitely helpful having someone there before she was ill enough to warrant the extra care of a nursing home. Unfortunately I don't know any reputable agencies for this but it's definitely worth asking friends and family if they know anyone. Best wishes smile

ZaZathecat Fri 04-Mar-16 08:56:19

Cecile and Helen, how did you find your 'au-pairs for the elderly'? Do any agencies exist? I would be afraid to take someone without any safety net as they would have so much power over the person they are caring for. It sounds a great concept though and one which would suit my MIL down to the ground.

NattyTile Fri 04-Mar-16 10:17:21

Helenluvsrob, I do appreciate that you must have been hugely hugely stressed when you were trying to arrange the care, but you didn't realise they'd need to sleep or take breaks?

Out of interest, did the same arrangement work better once you had waking nights too? Or did you still find you needed more assistance?

ZaZathecat Fri 04-Mar-16 17:09:10

Was also wondering, if the person needs 24 hour care, you would presumably need 2 au pairs or live in carers to work in shifts? Maybe more? How does this work and is is more costly than a care home?

Coroico97 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:51:13

Hi there, we are about to increase my dad's care to live-in. We will be using the same local agency we have used up until now (VVV expensive but good and reliable and understanding). This way they can cover the time off as well. We also have a private carer who will fill in some gaps and is cheaper. The company we are using gives the live-in carer three hours off per day and one day each weekend. The other suggestion they made (a good one as my dad has dementia and is resistant to any kind of care and can be poisonous sometimes) is to have two live in carers doing a week on and week off. About the same as a care home I think, but less than we were paying, which was several shorter shifts per day with gaps in between (hourly rate less the more hours carers work, plus less petrol charges). Whole thing is a minefield but happy to offer any help or advice I can. For more of a 'companion' try Country Cousins?? Been around for years and have a good reputation. Good luck.

ZaZathecat Fri 04-Mar-16 19:15:33

Thanks for the info Coro.

sashauna12 Thu 10-Mar-16 18:39:16

Hi my name is Serena it is a good idea I run my own care home I have over 50 staff in London I could help you price start from £10 per hour

nearlyhellokitty Thu 10-Mar-16 22:59:14

Thanks all just noticed the extra info! Very helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now