In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

Is this a symptom of dementia?

(2 Posts)
Ticktacktock Fri 29-Jan-16 20:05:38

Mum has been diagnosed with dementia, and so far is just forgetful. Apart from this. She didn't buy her 2 grandchildren a Xmas present last year. Said she didn't have time and she would get them later. I have been badgering her about it, and reminding her a lot. She was saying she would get round to it, but I asked if there was another reason, like money. She said yes, she didn't think she had enough money. I said but you have another account with money in. She said no, that money has all gone.

A friend says that is classic dementia, and her father did the same. Has anyone else experienced this please?

UptownFlunk Sun 07-Feb-16 17:26:33

Yes, this is classic dementia. Problems and paranoia about money are really commonplace. My relative became fanatical about money. Try not to badger her - I know it's difficult - you will just make her more agitated and stressed. Also, don't take offence when she doesn't do things she used to, it's not personal, it's the disease. I know it's really hard to accept this, it hurts but she can't help it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now