In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

Ideas for my dgm

(2 Posts)
Nocturne123 Tue 23-Dec-14 09:19:24

Hi everyone

My granny is 89 and has dementia . She still lives by herself so she's lucky that she's still able to for now .

My dgm has a phd and has spent so much of her life reading and learning. The dementia has made her forget how to read .

She has been doing ironing for my dm to help keep her occupied but now it has had to be taken away as it's too dangerous with her memory.

I know she's had a great life and is lucky that it's only hit her in the last ten years or so but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of anything to help her occupy herself given that she can't read /iron/cook Anymore . She can't stand just watching tv all the time.

It's a horrible disease and hard to see someone so educated become almost child like .

I'm sorry for anyone dealing with this awful disease especially those who are dealing with younger relatives .thanks

CoopedUp Tue 26-May-15 13:50:13

Nocturne. Have you thought about Singing for the Brain. Often run by Alzheimer's groups in the locality. There are also home & community support workers who visit a person with dementia and provide support to engage in activities like reading, crosswords, or getting out & about. Both of these services are provided by dementia charities in our area - information is often sourced through GP, carers groups or following the Care Act your local council has to have a care portal for information about services in your local area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now