The Baby Show - ExCel London,19-21 Feb 2010

(13 Posts)
julymum2014 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:36:01

Sorry to hijack the thread! A question for anyone who has attended the show before - is it worth going to? We'd have a 3 hour journey to get to the show, but there are not any local shows that we could go to before the baby is born. I've already booked two tickets, but OH is starting to get cold feet about whether it is worth going or not. Any advice on anyone who has previously attended would be gratefully received. Is it better than just going to shops like John Lewis and looking around?

rebstully Sat 12-Feb-11 21:25:35

Hurrah! Other people that feel the same as me!

Arms Fairs allow weapons manufacturers an opportunity to promote their products to regimes in conflict, those with terrible human rights records, or with human development needs (like water and sanitation, health etc).

And Clarion Events run the biggest in this country - DSEI in Excel. It's like a Bluewater for despots and torturers. They're not meant to sell torture equipment, or illegal weapons like cluster bombs, but they do. The only way to stop Clarion Events promoting this behaviour - which leads to the death of many innocent people, including babies - is to harm their reputation. And the only way to do this is to boycott their baby show and tell them why. And you could even come with me to tell other people why you're doing it too...? 20th February, Olympia, with your bump or baby in tow!! Join us! http://www.caat.org.uk/campaigns/armsfairs/
email londoncaat@riseup.net or message me... cheers for reading!!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 01-Feb-10 11:53:39
Spirael Sat 30-Jan-10 21:08:19

Me, an advert? hmm I don't think so... If I was, then would I get paid? grin

MN boycotted the show? I wonder why...

HelloThisIsJoanie Sat 30-Jan-10 16:29:28

adn LOL at "baby show"
they show you a baby - RUN the other way

HelloThisIsJoanie Sat 30-Jan-10 16:28:50

is this an advert?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Sat 30-Jan-10 16:28:16

I believe mumsnet were offered a stall but boycotted it last year...(searches for thread)

Spirael Sat 30-Jan-10 16:26:10

If it's any help, I got a code with my Emma's Diary pack. The code is BS129 and apparently provides a saving of £2.50 off the standard walk up price. By the information on the leaflet, it sounds like it should work ok online.

I managed to get advance tickets at a cheaper price, so didn't need to use the code, so I can't guarentee how well it works. But, well, it's there if anyone wants to try!

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a MN presence at the event... That would be a good place to meet up with people, or they could hand out badges! Ah well.

Sabs1981 Fri 29-Jan-10 16:09:47

I'm hoping to go too - trying to persuade DH to not go footie that day! Also looking for some discount codes before I book.

I have a DD who will be 4 months tomorrow, so have a lot of baby stuff, but still need to buy things like a highchair.

I live in East London so dont have far to travel grin

Us MN ladies should have a way of looking out for each other wink

Spirael Fri 29-Jan-10 09:53:22

Thanks for that, PapaNouveau! I was starting to wonder if I was the only one from MN planning to attend. wink

I attempted to persuade my parents that driving was the way forwards, but they're pretty set on using the train... Ah well, at least there'll be four of us to carry anything that we buy!

I'll probably take some picnic foods along for the day, as that sounds easiest. A big breakfast and some snacks should see me through, then I can have a proper meal later on. Fortunately, morning sickness seems to have eased off so I no longer need to eat constantly!

Thanks again for the info!

PapaNouveau Tue 26-Jan-10 13:10:44

Parking @ Excel; http://www.excel-london.co.uk/visitors/travel/parking

Refreshments @ Excel; http://www.excel-london.co.uk/visitors/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkinteractivemap

PapaNouveau Tue 26-Jan-10 13:07:42

Hello Spirael, we're going to the show @ Excel as well (four of us in one car from North West London, including 2 pregnant ladies); there is plenty of parking, and if you do lots of shopping (which you undoubtedly will wink) there is a pickup point so you can leave your shopping and then go and get your car and the nice folks at the point will carry your shopping your out to it.

Food wise there is some choice., but its not the cheapest or widest choice (we're taking a picnic and will no doubt go for dinner in the area to allow the traffic to subside after the show).

I was speaking to one of the exhibitors and have heard that the facilities are good (not sure how much better than a regular show though., I would imagine some leg crossing blush may be reqd).

Hope thats helpful.,

Spirael Thu 21-Jan-10 15:43:42

Hiya!

Is anyone going to The Baby Show in London next month? Has anyone been to the show previously at the London venue, or any others? I'm just after a bit of advice and information really!

Such as... Does it get really crowded? Is it better to turn up early, or late? Are there many things there to see and do? Is there much option for food and drink? Are the facilities adequate for the crowds? Etc...

I'm still growing my first child at the moment, I'll be around 18 weeks along on the day. So queuing for toilets and stuff wouldn't really be appreciated, and regular food may be required! wink Though I can cross my legs and take a picnic if necessary.

Also, I have the option of catching the underground from a station in NW London, or I can risk driving down there.

Now, I realise parking is expensive, but it's likely to be no more expensive than four adult all-zone railcards for the day! (Taking the future grandparents along...) What is the traffic and parking likely to be like? Chaos to get into the area, no parking left after 8am? Or is it not too bad..?

Any info gratefully received! Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now