Days out on Tesco Clubcard - how does it work?

(18 Posts)
crokky Thu 21-Aug-08 09:22:16

I want to take my DS and DD and my mum to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor Park.

I've never used Tesco vouchers on days out before as I've used them on food and we haven't been on many days out as kids very little.

Anwyay it looks like I can get:

Myself in for £5.75 worth of clubcard vouchers
My mum (aged 60) in for £2.75 worth of clubcard vouchers
My DS (2.5) and my DD (5 months) in for free.

It seems a good value day out at a total of £8.50 for the 4 of us? Am I missing something? Is there a catch?

Do you just buy the tickets on the tesco website and they send them?

AbbaFan Thu 21-Aug-08 09:25:06

There is no catch, I have done it loads of times.

Yes just order the tickets on-line, they will post them out. It's really quick you will have them in about 2-5 days.

cece Thu 21-Aug-08 09:27:45

Order them online or phone up to order. Take them with you on your day out, and voila a free day out! smile

ginnny Thu 21-Aug-08 09:32:11

No catch - we did it with Legoland earlier in the year and saved about £100 on tickets.

Sounds too good to be true - but for once its not smile

mother3 Thu 21-Aug-08 12:16:37

You get 4 times the price of voucher.Tesco have to keep you interested.You go on line clubcards deals.We went to longleat took the whole family.Dont waste them on shopping.Also look on martin lewis site for tesco discount codes.You still get tesco points but you also get money off.Been to restuarants etc.Feel a bit uncomftable but as i am a very good customer of tesco all my family deserve it.

charliecat Thu 21-Aug-08 12:21:38

Get a tesco credit card and do all your spending on it when you have got the bug

crokky Fri 22-Aug-08 15:07:59

Thanks everyone, have ordered and am excited!!

gillybean2 Sat 23-Aug-08 12:17:44

I've used these lots and it's great value. I never 'waste' them on shopping and save them up for school hols and the like. Used pizza hut ones recently and had to pay for drinks only but again, much better value than shopping!

Only 'catch' if you can call it that is that you don't get change for your vouchers. So if it costs you £8.50 to get in you give them a £10 voucher and get no change. But it's still cheaper than paying yourself and using the voucher on shopping which you'd only get £2.50 worth of shopping for a £10 days out voucher!

Also most vouchers are valid for 6 months (some exceptions so double check) and if you don't use them you can i understand (though I never have) send them back for a refund.

Order them online, they usually process them the next day and then they get posted out to you so can take a couple more days to get to you. Very fast. I have ordered lots for our week away when we're going to be having pizza hut as well as swimming and a caving day!

Am seriously thinking of getting a tesco creditcard to boost up my points.

crokky Sat 23-Aug-08 15:23:18

gilly - the "change" is added back to your account so that your next voucher will include it, pretty good!

gillybean2 Sat 23-Aug-08 15:50:35

No that's the change if you use £11.50 of your clubcard point vouchers to buy vouchers. The £1.50 you didn't use to buy any vouchers does get credited back to your account for next time.

But say you get your £10 voucher in the post and then go to Drayton Manor park and it'll cost you £8.50 to get in. You give them a £10 days out voucher (minimum you can get) then you don't get given change of your voucher. So it costs you £10 in vouchers to get in regardless. But then £10 in vouchers only cost you £2.50 in clubcard points so still excellent value.

AbbyLou Wed 27-Aug-08 17:43:33

I bought some tickets online today for Thomasland at Drayton Manor. We will get in for nothing as we have used vouchers and both dc are free. We have spent 11.50 in vouchers but actually had to redeem £15. At the end it said the unused points would be added back onto my statement next time. Maybe it's different if you do it by post but online you definitely get the unused voucehrs back.

mysonsmummy Sat 04-Oct-08 10:32:43

what gilly means is - the tesco days out vouchers when they arrive in the post come in £10 denominations. (some used to be £5) when you get to the park if it costs £16 to get in - and you give the 2 x £10 they dont give you the change.

as i use mine so uch i woucl pay the £6 in cash.

Just paid £350 for ds 7 ten pin bowling party with them.
we are off to Longleat overnight in 2 weeks with them.
just booked 2 weeks FB Lykia world, Turkey next august with them - cant wait!
and still have £2200 left to spend.

think i need to get another hobby! lol

kerryk Sat 04-Oct-08 10:37:24

they really are fantastic, so far we have had

entry to blackpool tower for family of 4
entry to pleasure beach for family of 4
louden castle for 6 of us (took my parents)
weekend at the marriot
parc asterix in paris for family of 4
euro tunnel (return)

next lot will go to madan taussauds (sp?) tickets.

cant believe how much we have had for free. we only got our clubcard last xmas!!!

mysonsmummy Sat 04-Oct-08 10:40:54

we were going to order the legoland days out but then realised for not much more we could get the merlin card. esp when they included london aquarium.

we've got so much from the merlin card already.

i go in fits and starts sometimes am really on top of tesco shopping then can't be bothered.

kerryk Sat 04-Oct-08 11:00:14

i was thinking of getting the merlin card as we are spending 2 weeks in london next summer!

it would pay for itself after a couple of days.

can you remember how much it cost you in deals tokens?

Grav1 Sat 04-Oct-08 18:14:00

It costs £31.25 in clubcard deal vouchers per merlin annual pass.

mysonsmummy Sun 05-Oct-08 10:30:52

used to be £22 then went up to £27.50. obviously very popular. dread to think what it will be next year.

your right though it will be worth it.

off to tescos this morning with an arm full of nappy points!

Lmccrean Sun 05-Oct-08 10:43:13

If you want to boost clubcard points but dont want a credit card, check out the Clubcard Plus account. Its like a bank account but you get double points on it, which is better than the current tesco cc, as far as I know. It also helps you budget because you have to have the cash in your account before you pay with it. (S/O for £1 a month then top up at customer services before starting your shop) Obv it only works in Tesco, where the cc works everywhere, but I think its worth it for me (I also have the cc though)

Call 0800 406050 and ask for application form, as you cant apply in store or online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now