Lapland UK 2008

(134 Posts)
LIZS Tue 19-Aug-08 18:00:52

Lapland UK seems to be happening again this year albeit I think at a different location (Bewl Water, Kent). Booking opens 8th September. Mixed reviews last year.

ChippyMinton Tue 19-Aug-08 21:47:07

Yes i noticed that - the stuffed toys were about £20 IIRC shock

Tas1 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:47:48

Also.... it had been very wet running up to the day of our visit, so when we went it was very very very muddy. DD's were slipping all over the place, luckily we wore wellies.

Soapbox Tue 19-Aug-08 21:51:03

We went last year and it was absolutely rubbish. I would keep your money and book to see the Snowman at the Peacock theatre followed by a bus ride along Regent Street and Oxford Street to see the lights, with a visit to Hamleys for the really brave!

That would be a far more Christmassy day out than Lapland UK!

AbbaFan Tue 19-Aug-08 22:02:32

We went into London last christmas eve, and into Hamley's - it was actually ok. We had a lovely day.

This year I am going to see what they are showing at the i-max in London. Then maybe book up.

theirmum Tue 19-Aug-08 22:12:55

gosh after reading this thread I am no oing to go I was trying to convince my DH that £265 for the four of us (Tom is only 3 months but is still £10) was ok because it would be fantastic! Think I will go to down the road to brocketts Farm instead I am so glad I looked here my DH would have gone mad if it is rubbish this year it is an awful lot of money for a day out!

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Tue 19-Aug-08 22:13:34

shock at the price increases. I'd be very surprised if they'd improved things enough for it to worth that much.

I wish we'd got the plush reindeer presents, my 3 DCs got the wooden jigsaws, one elephant and two dogs. The hessian bags are currently being used to store their polished school shoes!

theirmum Tue 19-Aug-08 22:24:47

saying that I have just had the shock of my life have you seen how much it is for 2 nights at the real lap land i nearly fell of my chair! HERE

Soapbox Tue 19-Aug-08 22:28:10

Having done both, there is no comparison whatsoever between the real Lapland and Lapland UK.

The real Lapland was beyond our highest expectations - I truely don't believe that our DCs will ever forget their visit there - it was magical

FioFio Wed 20-Aug-08 14:39:39

Message deleted

tiredemma Wed 20-Aug-08 14:52:40

How can they justify those prices??????

FioFio Wed 20-Aug-08 14:54:40

Message deleted

theirmum Wed 20-Aug-08 15:34:08

fio lol yep idiots like me who think ahh that could be nice and then are really disappointed after! by the sound of it tiredemma they cant!

lilyloo Wed 20-Aug-08 21:21:57

LOL Fio don't think they have yet ?
Well we still got our car broken into down there last year at the hotel we stayed in night before !
Maybe because we were 'undesirables' as we did travel to get there! wink
I wouldn't reccomend at this price although have no idea on the quality of lunch.
Will happily let someone have my priority code as have email for early booking for anyone considering this!

FDY Thu 21-Aug-08 18:46:38

Hi,

Wanted to take our 4 year old and our 9 month old so would appreciate a priority code from the last post if still available.

Many thanks

scoobygeorgia Sun 31-Aug-08 11:31:59

Hi, new to all of this just joined, but I was searching info about Lapland uk costs and found your threads really interesting so I decided to contact LaplandUK to find out why they had increased prices so much to which they replied they had more reindeer, extra huskies, an ice rink and chefs all extra this year and that they had under estimated prices last year. I sent a response back saying that they appear to be over priced for a 4hr visit and that it is cheaper to take your family to Disneyland paris during december and their response back was...........Thank you for your comments go for it at Disney!!!!! (shock) so thats their great customer care and service for you!!!!

stringbean Tue 02-Sep-08 21:28:21

I was interested in taking the dcs to Lapland UK last year, after reading about it in one of the Sunday papers - the article made it sound really magical. However, after reading reviews here, and seeing the price (they have just sent me priority booking details) I think we'll give it a miss. I really don't fancy wasting £350 on something mediocre that doesn't live up to expectations. It has set me thinking that a trip to Lapland proper, although eye-wateringly expensive, would be better value. Cantebury Travel has been recommended to me by a number of people, and I'd love to go. Is it really worth the money though? Can anyone convince me - not sure it would take much though!grin

Stringbean

We didn't go to Lapland UK last year (because I thought it would be tacky and naff, WK resident though!) and regretted it until I read the reviews.

So we decided to book to go to the real thing this year with Canterbury travel. We have a DS with SN and they have made us fill in loads of extra paperwork for it (including dimansions of his wheelchair open and folded, this was nearly a year before the trip so can't tell them which model he'll be in by then) and get Drs letter which I had to pay for - he is not ill and this seems very discriminatory to me. Also they do not have a hotel room big enough for all of us but cannot guarantee us a chalet near the restaruant where you have to eat, we could be a 30 min walk away from it.

We are going for 5 days <gulp> as they did have some special offers for early booking. Also the shorter trips seemed a bit full on and DS would not cope with being herded around all day every day.

After I had booked and paid found out from a friend that they had gone there skiing and booked all the same trips whilst they were there (sleigh, dog sled, hunt for FC) and their 2 week ski trip cost around half our 5 day jaunt!

scooby I am open mouthed at their dreadful PR.

stringbean Tue 02-Sep-08 22:29:33

Thanks for the the post MS. We were thinking of doing the one day tour only, so would not need accommodation, however we also have a dc with special needs (sensory, but we would probably still need to declare it as a disability, which hadn't really occurred to me). We did wonder if we might get a free child place, but I suspect these book up early. It does sound a bit discriminatory towards your ds; hope they'll make extra special effort for him after making you jump through extra hoops. Wonder if we'll have to declare dd's cochlear implant?grin Somewhat galling to discover you could go for 2 weeks for a lot less money. I do hope you have a fantastic time though, and your ds enjoys it. I'll still give it some thought.

Stringbean He'll have to wear a hat anyway as so cold, I should keep quiet and save the hassle wink

stringbean Tue 02-Sep-08 22:35:03

Why didn't I think of that?? Although it also occurs to me that cochlear implants may not function below certain temperatures, so we may have to abandon it altogether and stick to signing!

sas45 Thu 04-Sep-08 22:45:04

Hi. This is my first message ever as just joined and found you all by accident! I have been on the Lapland UK site as friend a mentioned. Must say i have been put off after reading everyones' comments. We did the real thing year before last at DH suggestion. I was horrified at the price for the 4 of us but it soooooo worth it and wouldn't have missed it for the world! Our girls still talk about it now. If in doubt go for it! and with Canterbury Travel. Had no complaints.

DotFox Fri 05-Sep-08 20:22:14

Hi Everyone

Dorothy's back with more Lapland UK news..............

What is it???????

hertsnessex Fri 05-Sep-08 21:35:50

We went last yr and got 50% back from them. total rip off and waste of time.

DotFox Fri 05-Sep-08 22:23:01

Iam sorry to hear that, at least they had the decency to refund you something, that's unheard of these days. We had a wonderful time, some people did not like it at all but you cannot please everyone, everyone has different tastes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now