Things to do in Newcastle

(31 Posts)
MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Oct-16 20:04:30

Taking the dcs home for 3 days

They're boys aged 7 & 12

We booked to go to theatre, and we're gonna do wet n wild, and st James stadium tour

Any other suggestions??
(It's been a long time since I was a youngster there when a trip to wimpy & metroland was the highlight) grin

FeckinCrutches Fri 07-Oct-16 20:06:53

No more Metroland sad Centre for Life is good!

Heirhelp Fri 07-Oct-16 20:07:40

Do the snow dog trial.

birdsdestiny Fri 07-Oct-16 20:11:00

Centre for life is good but pricey. If you can travel then there is a diggerland at durham. Still pricey! Also quayside good on a Sunday, market and the Baltic. Great north museum is free.

kimlo Fri 07-Oct-16 20:14:47

wet and wild is filthy. Really really filthy.

The baltic has a playground thing on thats good. The great british cupcakery is worth a visit for the milkshakes, or I was fancying one of the cat cafes if thats your thing.

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 07-Oct-16 20:14:52

Discovery Museum.

Get the Metro out to Tynemouth and kick a ball up and down the beach. Or send them surfing. Still at Tynemouth, the Blue Reef Aquarium. Or the Priory.

nousernames Fri 07-Oct-16 20:15:48

Snow dog trail
7 stories
Ouseburn farm
Get the bus to Seahouses and sea the seals
Jesmond dene and pets corner
The coast

I love Newcastle- have a fab time smile

RuralLibran Fri 07-Oct-16 20:16:08

Beamish! Not far from Newcastle.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Fri 07-Oct-16 20:17:42

Hancock museum. Free and loads for kids to discover too!!
Space section etc not just all stuff things these days!!

Ikeameatballs Fri 07-Oct-16 20:20:30

They have rejuvenated the castle and it looks good though I haven't been so can't definitely recommend it.

MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Oct-16 20:47:46

Ok thanks

Snow dog trail???? Where and what is this?

Centre for life, where is it?

Don't want to travel too far as flying up so bus or metro only

Is wet & wild really grim?

MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Oct-16 20:48:28

Also fancied 7 stories but more for me than the dcssmile

ToBeAChadsman Fri 07-Oct-16 20:52:01

Centre for Life is 5 minutes from Central Station - just turn left and keep walking and you're there.

www.greatnorthsnowdogs.co.uk/ is the snow dog trail - need to investigate it more and think about doing some of it with DS.

museumum Fri 07-Oct-16 20:54:38

Centre for life is good. Practically next door to the main train station.

birdsdestiny Fri 07-Oct-16 21:22:56

WET n wild is fine. I was there with two boys in the summer. They loved it. In peak season e.g. summer holidays the toilets take a hammering. I was fine and I am a clean freakgrin. Boys say it was best day of summer holidays.

PickAChew Fri 07-Oct-16 21:39:31

Life Science Centre. Must get to the animals inside out exhibition with DS1
www.life.org.uk/

At the moment, you can hunt for Snowdogs
www.greatnorthsnowdogs.co.uk/

PickAChew Fri 07-Oct-16 21:43:04

And you can get the 28/28A Waggonway to Beamish Museum form Eldon Square bus station (which is no longer in a dungeon!)
www.gonortheast.co.uk/beamish/

Allalonenow Fri 07-Oct-16 21:45:47

Another vote for the coast, Tynemouth is fab, take them to see the Collingwood statue on the estuary, better than Nelson's column!
Or Whitley Bay, I hear the Spanish City has been revamped.
Or have a Roman day at Wallsend.

MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Oct-16 22:12:38

We've done a lot of the coast before, seahouses, Alnwick, cragside, bamborough, warkworth etc
Would like to stay closer to the city

Ooh I used to love Spanish city

And re Eldon square dungeon, I used to work in a takeaway down there, we would smoke whilst preparing the food for pizzas and kebabs envy

MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Oct-16 22:16:41

Omg just looked at the snow dogs site, I didn't realise it was related to the snowman and the snow dog which is ds2 favourite thing to watch every Xmas (and sometimes not at Xmas smile)
He will love this

NotAMammy Fri 07-Oct-16 22:19:49

I second the museums, discover and hancock are great and the Baltic can often surprise. As someone else said, there's a playpark thing on there at the moment which is meant to be really good. Beamish is brill but a bit pricey. I haven't been to seven stories yet but I'd love to.
There's a brand new cinema opening in Ouseburn area, it's a community run one so a bit different, they have a few things on over the next month that look fun: www.bocnewcastle.org/
The Sunderland Illuminations are on at the moment too, I haven't been made it there yet either, maybe this year, but I've heard good things.

dazzlingdeborahrose Fri 07-Oct-16 22:21:47

Discovery museum. Great north museum. Centre for life. All on city centre. Segedunum at walls end. Tyne mouth, Whitley bay all in metro line. Jeanine dene is lovely. Have a walk along the quayside. See all the bridges. Seven stories at ouseburn. Snow dog trail. Sure I'll think of other things.

MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Oct-16 22:22:23

Not going until half term is the Baltic thing still on then?

dazzlingdeborahrose Fri 07-Oct-16 22:23:25

Castle keep and the black gate. Round the corner by st Nicholas cathedral you can look for the pirate grave and the vampire rabbit.

Bunkai Fri 07-Oct-16 22:25:08

Definitely the Discovery museum. Take a small towel and change of clothes for the DCs. They'll love playing with the model of the Tyne.

If you like cats there's Mog on the Tyne. Jesmond Dene is always worth a look (or Saltwell Park).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now