Cambridge for a day with DS 13. Ideas of things to do?

(7 Posts)
EasternDailyStress Tue 16-Aug-16 20:37:52

Just that really. Planning on having a look around King's, then a punt down the Cam, but what else would appeal to a 13 yr old? He quite likes science/computers etc but not one for dusty museums! Thanks.

Poppiesway Tue 16-Aug-16 20:44:51

Ooh marking place..
We're going tomorrow, I've already booked punting online (wanted to do it today but they were fully booked). Besides punting I didn't know either what you do!

Stillnoidea Tue 16-Aug-16 20:54:35

Could go to centre for computing history www.computinghistory.org.uk - has lots of old computers to try out, and I think one of the founders was Hermann Hauser. (If you can find it online at all you could also watch Micro Men which was a bbc drama about the competition between Acorn, who are the BBC computer, and Sinclair). It's not in the town centre but you could get a taxi.

Fitzwilliam is a good museum but maybe not terribly exciting for a 13yr old.

Could climb the tower of St Mary's church for the view.

Eat a Chelsea bun at fitzbillies.

Look at the great court at Trinity (?) where they filmed Chariots of Fire (I think).

Stillnoidea Tue 16-Aug-16 20:56:12

Could also look at www.visitcambridge.org.

EasternDailyStress Tue 16-Aug-16 20:59:35

Thanks all. Off to check out some of those.

Stillnoidea Tue 16-Aug-16 21:00:26

And maybe try asking on the Cambridge local topic, as you may get more responses.

Aftershock15 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:07:58

The Whipple museum is different and Scott Polar good if he is interested in explorers. As the museums are free at least if he doesn't like it you can leave. You could bring swimming stuff and go to Jesus Green pool. Longest outdoor pool in UK I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now