How busy is Natural History Museum in term time?

(5 Posts)
MegBusset Thu 30-Jun-16 23:07:49

DC have never been to the NHM, I've avoided it so far because of how busy it is these days in the school holidays (did the Science Museum one half term, never again)

Their school has an inset day the Friday before October half term, which will be a school day for most SE schools as far as I can see.

Has anyone been on a term time Friday and can tell me if it's still horrendously busy? We'd stay at my mum's in London the night before so should be able to get there for opening time.

noramum Fri 01-Jul-16 10:52:32

It may be an Inset day for some schools but def less crowded than in the actual holidays. School holidays in London start on the last Monday in October, public schools will be most likely out earlier.

I would be there first thing in the morning, you may have to compete with rush hour work commuters though.

Check the website what you definitely want to see and go there first and then see what you want to do with the rest of the time.

Take a packed lunch, food is expensive, save money for a piece of cake later.

MegBusset Fri 01-Jul-16 13:50:30

Ah, thank you. Dinosaurs definitely top of the list!

Artandco Fri 01-Jul-16 13:54:16

Bare in mine some schools have two weeks holiday then so will be off also

Tryingtosaveup Tue 05-Jul-16 20:32:31

I have been several times in term time. Don't get there for opening time get there at least 15 mins earlier because there will be a long queue.
There will be coach loads of overseas visitors.
Go,straight to the dinosaurs before there is a queue there.
Take food because there are queues for all the food outlets and they are expensive and it is a waste of time queuing.
There is a picnic area that is open to everyone but mainly used by schools
There is a fairly new area down stairs...I think it is called the discovery centre which is all hands on but they only let so many people in at a time.
I go on the website and plan what I am going to do.....depending on the ages of the kids. Also expect school parties.
Enjoy, I love the place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now