Cornwall days out

(19 Posts)
CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sat 09-Apr-16 16:03:41

We're going to Cornwall in may with dd (3), and baby ds.

Can anyone recommend things to do? We're staying in the east but could do a day trip to the west.

We like:
beaches
walks (short because of the toddler, but they don't need to be buggy friendly as the baby is usually carried in a sling)
Animals
Rainy day activities

We've been to the eden project before and enjoyed that so will maybe go back

Thanks!

2016ismyyear Sat 09-Apr-16 16:05:45

Where are you staying and when are you coming?
Are you National trust members?

AugustaFinkNottle Sat 09-Apr-16 16:14:16

St Ives. Go early, park in the Park and Ride at Lelant and take the train which goes down the coast - it's a lovely run. There are three good beaches plus the harbour, loads of good restaurants and nice shops, you can do boat trips, and if you're feeling cultured there are places like the Hepworth Museum and the Tate.

StuffandBother Sat 09-Apr-16 16:19:00

There's a Shetland Pony centre (it might be called 'Springfields') near Newquay, its fantastic, you can feed baby lambs, groom and ride Shetland ponies, a tractor ride, a boating lake (unmanned!) go karts, hens, ducks and an indoor play barn, It's very rustic and rural but my 3 loved it there when they were little.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sat 09-Apr-16 18:42:17

Thanks for the suggestions. Dd will love the Shetland pony centre I think and st Ives looks good for a day trip - some of the beaches there look beautiful.

We're staying near Bude, in early may. Fingers crossed for the weather! We're not national trust members but could join if it's worth it.

2016ismyyear Sat 09-Apr-16 19:01:53

Springfield's used to be a bit run down but the new owners have made lots of improvements and keen to overhaul it. They normally do a 7 day return pass too.

Instead of Eden. I'd do Heligan. Much more intimate. They are running foraging walks in early may. You can also visit Mevagissey and Charlestown nearby. Pentewan sands has a free indoor soft play and swimming pool ( small flume) if you wanted to grab some tea before drive back to Bude.

Check out Sterts theatre for some shows. Much closer than the minnack.

St Ives is lovely but Tats is closed for renovations and not likely to reopen for some time.

2016ismyyear Sat 09-Apr-16 19:02:31

Trethorne Leisure park is quite good too.

FizzlingFireboxes Sat 09-Apr-16 19:58:39

For beaches Summerleaze is good or further afield Marizion has a huge beach with virtually no waves, great for paddling with little ones, you can walk out for miles and only be knee deep, there's a play park by the beach and cafes etc. You can also walk across to the amount at low tide.
Flambards is okay if you've never been, maybe more suited to older ones.
Dairyland was good last year, Paradise Park is near St.Ives and is probably a half day thing. I second the park and ride from Lelant into St.Ives, it's not a nice place to drive into and try to park, takes the stress out and the children love the train ride.

FizzlingFireboxes Sat 09-Apr-16 19:59:17

Walk to the Mount that should say!

Petal7 Sat 09-Apr-16 20:11:08

St Ives is fab - sandy accessible beaches, self drive boats, loads of places to eat, Tate etc. Train from Lelant is a great idea. My dds love the train ride - it is a stunning stretch of coast.
Paradise Park (nr Hayle, nr St Ives) is great too. V manageable size wise, great opportunities to feed animals - we have fed penguins and lorakeets there. There is also a great soft play there if it it rains.
Hope you have a great time!

doasIsaynotasIdo Sat 09-Apr-16 20:25:45

The Monkey Sanctuary is good. Small, but very well organised and run, and with gorgeous views. A lovely cafe too. Highly recommended. http://www.monkeysanctuary.org/

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sun 10-Apr-16 10:22:01

Thanks for all your suggestions. St Ives and heligan definitely look good. Dd loves trains so that's a winner.

I've been up all night with a grizzly baby so I'll have a closer look at the rest when I'm a bit more awake!

G1raffe Sun 10-Apr-16 10:28:56

We like Bude!

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sun 10-Apr-16 10:49:26

Excellent, we're staying near Bude so we'll definitely be going there. Anything in particular there that you recommend?

NoelHeadbands Sun 10-Apr-16 10:52:46

Bude is lovely, and nearby Widemouth Bay has a great beach as well

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sun 10-Apr-16 21:22:32

Thanks I will add widemouth bay to the list!

fucketbanny Sun 10-Apr-16 21:27:30

If you drive 25miles or so to Wadebridge, you can hire bikes and cycle along the camel trail to Padstow. There are several bike hire shops and various options for transporting little ones. Is a lovely flat ride.

fucketbanny Sun 10-Apr-16 21:28:57

Rainy day activities: Bude has a bowling alley and attached soft play centre, it also has a swimming pool

dramaqueen Sun 10-Apr-16 21:37:27

You need to go to Lappa Valley - if your dd loves trans this is a must.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now