Places to go with a 2 year old - North East

(9 Posts)
Moondancer146 Tue 26-Jan-16 19:30:32

Looking for some ideas of where to go with my toddler this summer. I don't drive so places that have good transport links would be good. Looking for places anywhere between Newcastle and York. Preferably day trips but wouldn't object to having to stay over for a night or two

LucyMouse Tue 26-Jan-16 19:37:04

Days out we have enjoyed : Beamish Museum, National Railway Museum, Newby Hall near Ripon (far and away my favourite but it might be tricky to get to via public transport), Whitby for a picnic at the Abbey and then the beach and a wander around town.

Dowser Tue 05-Apr-16 18:19:59

She's only two...so maybe no need to spend quite so much money on entrance tickets just yet....unless its something you'll enjoy.

Yorks nice and on a good day there's some nice parks, walks along the river, boat trip etc.

There's usually some street entertainment somewhere from magicians to musicians...YStreet Band are excellent.

You can have a nice mooch around the daily market. You can push the boat out and have afternoon tea at Betty's. There sometimes craft fairs and food fairs in the main square.
If its a weeken there's often a craft fair in the church hall to the left of Betty's. . Can't think of its name.
There are open topped buses to have a tour round.

The museum gardens are lovely with some lovely ruins.

Shopping is first class of course...but she may be a bit young for that.

You do pay for the minster but its free if there's a service on.

Can you tell York is my favourite city ;-)

Dowser Tue 05-Apr-16 18:20:45

If you look for a b an b in bootham it's a nice gentle stroll into the centre.

Dowser Tue 05-Apr-16 18:21:32

Oh yes forgot the national railway museum and I think it's still free.

TheDailyWail Tue 05-Apr-16 18:23:11

I am absolutely NO HELP but for a moment I thought you were taking Kim and Kanye's child out for the day. grin

<Ahem> As you were...

PotteringAlong Tue 05-Apr-16 18:27:36

In Newcastle itself you have the discovery museum and the Hancock museum which are both free and mine love.

Seven stories, the children's book museum is well worth the money and ouseburn community farm next door is free. You can get the bus from the centre of Newcastle or walk along the Tyne to get there.

The Baltic also has a good children's section.

Centre for life also fab.

You can walk to all of these from Newcastle central station.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 05-Apr-16 18:28:17

Creepie Crawlies near York is very good.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 05-Apr-16 18:42:44

If you could push the trip out to Hull, I'd recommend The Deep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now