Recommend me your National trust visits....

(64 Posts)
WeLoveHaribo Thu 21-Jan-16 21:18:09

Where have you been that was really nice, mainly for children.... Mazes playgrounds, woods etc....
Thanks

keeprunninguphill Thu 21-Jan-16 21:20:47

Cragside. It's in Northumberland. Totally amazing.

keeprunninguphill Thu 21-Jan-16 21:21:52

Cragside. It's in Northumberland. Totally amazing.

MegBusset Thu 21-Jan-16 21:22:56

Kingston Lacy, Dorset. Fab adventure playground, woods, gardens... the works.

TwoLeftSocks Thu 21-Jan-16 21:27:37

Lyme Park nr Stockport

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 21-Jan-16 21:29:20

Not NT but the best place we have ever been was Chatsworth House, in the Peak District. Don't bother with the house, just the gardens. They are incredible, pricey but so worth the money.

thejoysofboys Thu 21-Jan-16 21:44:23

Bidulph Grange - they have little cards of things to spot on your way round, stepping stones, places to climb, tunnels, bridges and generally the kind of nooks and crannies kids like to explore.
Also Powys castle - ours just love exploring.

No1HolidayPlanner Fri 22-Jan-16 12:27:19

Waddesdon Manor in Bucks is greatsmile

WeLoveHaribo Sun 24-Jan-16 23:00:31

Thank you,
Keep them coming...
Compiling a great list grin xx

Wandastartup Sun 24-Jan-16 23:01:33

Belton House

noramum Mon 25-Jan-16 10:50:00

Chartwell in Westerham/Kent. House of Winston Churchill.

We are NT members and this is our local go-to if we need a bit more than the usual woods. We haven't been to the house itself or the formal gardens as we spent far too much time in the woodlands getting muddy. DD is 8.5 and I can take her on my own without getting bored.

FarFromBeingGruntled Tue 26-Jan-16 14:39:10

Wimpole near Cambridge. Has a lovely farm (nt members pay half price for the farm) All their family events I've been to are first class.

Can also second Belton House, Powys and Lyme Park (excellent adventure playground)

I love Ickworth in Suffolk.

No1 I am dying to try out Waddesdon.

Anywhere with any kind if trail works for my DS...

Tiredbuthappy1970 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:24:00

The Vyne near Basingstoke
Beningborough Hall near York

Savagebeauty Tue 26-Jan-16 18:25:26

Powis Castle
Chartwell
Bodium Castle
Vita Sackville's gardens
Ham House
Rievaulx terrace

Trottersindependenttraders Tue 26-Jan-16 18:30:00

Another vote for Lyme Park in Cheshire. Speke Hall, especially on a sunny day, Brownsea Island - you catch the boat from Poole Harbour, it's a really tranquil little place, picnic on the beach or walk round the island.

summerpuddingandclottedcream Tue 26-Jan-16 18:34:45

Attingham Park is brilliant (Shropshire). We never go into the house, but the grounds a brilliant and they've turned a field beyond the orchard into a big outdoor playground - can stay there for hours.

Shugborough is similarly good, with lots of variety (Staffs)

Are often at Hanbury Hall, Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton in Worcs - make good use of our membership.

TolpuddleFarter Tue 26-Jan-16 18:35:08

Brownsea Island
Chirk Castle
Biddulph Grange Garden

Laquila Tue 26-Jan-16 18:38:27

Sudbury in Staffordshirw is great, as it's got the Museum of Childhood - lots to look at and play with in there.

I also love Lyme Park and Biddulph Grange, although the latter can be a bit tricky to negotiate in wet/icy weather for toddlers.

As a pp said, Chatsworth isn't NT but has a great adventure playground and farmyard.

Fourormore Tue 26-Jan-16 18:38:32

Ooh these are fab. We haven't used our membership half as much as I hoped but this should help

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 28-Jan-16 17:39:15

Fountains Abbey near Ripon.

It's fabulous, a proper day out. So much to see, I'd love to go back but it's hours away from me.

Thethingswedoforlove Thu 28-Jan-16 19:04:41

Chart well has a bomb crater - a real one with ropes for people to clamber out or in with, a Canadian camp with a real hammock to swing in and real cooking props. And there is den building and huge tree swings . It is fab!

cloudjumper Thu 28-Jan-16 19:07:57

Anglesey Abbey near Cambridge - never been into the house, but the gardens are fabulous in any season.

1234Littleham Thu 28-Jan-16 19:17:59

Stourhead in Wiltshire - walk around the lake with temples & grotto.

Cragside in Northumberland.

secretsignal Thu 28-Jan-16 19:25:34

Another vote for fountains abbey near ripon, awesome ruins, lakes to picnic by in the summer, smallish play area. In the same neck of the woods, Brimham Rocks is great for outdoor climby fun. Beningborough hall near York has beautiful gardens and a good adventure playground. And as always yummy NT scones grin

Twowrongsdontmakearight Thu 28-Jan-16 19:28:29

Agree Cragside is wonderful.

Tatton Park in Cheshire has a park, Gardens with lovely greenhouses, a farm and a little maze (NT have to pay for parking though as it's part owned by Cheshire Council. Near by is Quarry Bank Mill (of The Mill fame). DC can learn about how cotton was made and try on clothes etc at the Apprentice House. Also close to both is Dunham Massey. The house was turned into. WW1 hospital last year. Not sure if it still is. There are fallen trees for DC to climb over, very tame deer and a little water mill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now