Day trip to London for 5 year old's birthday, help me plan?

(15 Posts)
PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 01-Jul-15 17:10:17

We will arrive at Euston at 9am and depart at 6pm on a Saturday in August. He has wanted to visit London for a long time, but only because he wants to play in a big park (and London must have bigger and better parks than we do).

Where would you go? I'm concerned the NHM or Science museum will be heaving so I'm open to all suggestions.

And any recommendations for which park to go for?

imip Wed 01-Jul-15 17:12:29

You could go to the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green and then Victoria Park. They also have some water fountains and a couple of playgrounds. Nice places for lunch in Victoria Park village.

Or SouthBank - a boat down the Thames?

whatsagoodusername Wed 01-Jul-15 17:14:43

Well, if he wants a park, the Princess Diana one is good and very big.

whatsagoodusername Wed 01-Jul-15 17:15:11

And the fountains too.

EdithWeston Wed 01-Jul-15 17:16:40

Try Corams Fields for the park - convenient for Euston.

ChippyMinton Wed 01-Jul-15 17:19:03

I second the Princess Diana playground, and a mooch about in the huge park.

Or Greenwich Park?

EdithWeston Wed 01-Jul-15 17:26:00

Greenwich could be fun as you can go by boat. I'm not sure if there's a playground sort of park in the Park, but there's the Observatory, Maritime Museum and Cutty Sark all close together.

YesThisIsMe Wed 01-Jul-15 17:28:50

I agree that Kensington Gardens for the Diana Playground and fountain (not in the same place) would be good. Maybe a trip on the boats on the Serpentine and a posh icecream somewhere. Combine it with a trip on the top deck of a Double Decker bus past somewhere exciting and you're sorted.

Or Regent's Park and a trip to the zoo. Not cheap but great for that age group and super convenient from Euston.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 01-Jul-15 17:34:14

Oh wow lots of ideas! Thank you, this is going to keep me busy!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Wed 01-Jul-15 17:40:53

we took dd to london. we did the museums - if u do one definitely the natural history over the science museum.

However her favourite place was the m&ms shop - still talks about it and was her absolute favourite! !

we went to London eye and there was a small climbing area for kids behind which she liked and she enjoyed watching all the different street performers.

Wildpoppy Wed 01-Jul-15 17:45:34

Diana playground definitely.

Ilovenannyplum Wed 01-Jul-15 17:48:00

There's a really nice play area in Greenwich park and a boating pond/lake thingy smile

Whopper Wed 01-Jul-15 17:51:21

I suggest the Southbank. There's always loads going on there in the summer holidays - and lots of it is free. Check online at Southbank Centre - they do lots of bookable children's shows/productions. Around there you've also got the London Eye, a massive children's play area with big wooden climbing area, the Sealife Centre, not many shops, but loads of restaurants including Giraffe, there's often a small man-made beach overlooking the Thames too for children to play in. You can get a boat up the Thames, go on a London Sight-Seeing bus etc. Southbank is my favourite area!

Heels99 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:27:13

Agree south bank brilliant

mrsmortis Mon 06-Jul-15 16:26:30

There are a whole load of theatres doing one act show based on childrens books at the moment. I took my DD to see 'Aliens love Underpants' last year and she loved it. You can see things like the gruffalo and room on the broom too. Some of them were listed on amazon local earlier this month too.

If you want to see a museum but not go to South Ken then we love the Museum of London which is in the square mile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now