Holidaying in the UK and need inspiration!

(18 Posts)
MiaT28 Fri 26-Jun-15 15:30:18

Where is best to go in the UK for a family holiday? I have a 3 year old to entertain and my friends have a 1 year old... HELP!!

PotteringAlong Fri 26-Jun-15 18:16:48

Come to the north east! Newcastle / Durham / Northumberland coast has all you can ever want!

Andcake Fri 26-Jun-15 18:23:03

We took ds at 2ish to camber sands beautiful beech -we rented a cottage ( not in haven) had days out at the beach, dry church, rye, dungerness etc and had a wonderful time.

PlayingHouse Fri 26-Jun-15 20:10:17

Dorset

fairyfuckwings Fri 26-Jun-15 20:22:48

Over the last 10 years we've been to quite a few uk holiday places. The best place (the one we all liked best - me, dh, dd (14) ds (14) and dd (7)) was Wales near Caernarfon. We stayed in a holiday cottage on a working farm and it was absolutely wonderful. Stunning scenery, loads to do nearby and unbeatable friendliness from the farmers - they let us pet the calves and we're just lovely people. If you want the name of where we stayed just let me know.

Another place we loved when the kids were younger was "Devon Valley" near Shaldon. We statend in a wooden chalet which was a bit dated but had the best time. You can crab fish off the edge of a wall when the tide comes in and the older 2 still talk about it now. Again, loads to do nearby - it's just a bit of a treck for us living in Yorkshire.

We also go to St Anne's quite a lot and stay at "The Dalmeny ". We enjoy that but it's only an hour from us so more of a weekend destination.

Sirzy Fri 26-Jun-15 20:24:06

Depends where you are and how far you want to travel. What sort of thing you want from the holiday.

Loads of fantastic places in the country

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Fri 26-Jun-15 20:28:11

Looe in Cornwall.

Pretty Little beach, lots of seaside gift shops but not tacky, nice restaurants - fish and chips to higher end seafood restaurants, gorgeous for evening strolls along the harbour.

If you do caravan holidays I can recommend the Caravan Club site there, lovely and an outdoor pool - very clean and excellent wardens.

Static vans, there is a Park Dean (similar to Haven) next door to the Caravan Club, really nice and clean lots for kids to do (including a pool).

All are situated just up from Looe itself, a 5 minute drive but parking is a bit of a mare, or a bus ride (bus stops outside Park Dean) not suitable for walking as its along a windy road but there is a coastal path that's lovely. Maybe a bit too hard for a 3 yo though.

applecatchers36 Fri 26-Jun-15 20:28:20

Pembrokeshire is great, has beautiful unspoilt beaches, oakwood theme park, folly farm, Tenby, st .Davids & Narbeth interesting towns, surfing & coastering for older children/ teenagers, great selection of cottages & camping, generally affordable

fairyfuckwings Fri 26-Jun-15 20:30:52

Just to add to me previous post. We go abroad (to various med destinations) once a year and the eldest 2 get taken to some pretty exotic place by their father once a year ( florida, Sri lanka; Egypt, Turkey, Sharm). And still the best holiday to them was the farm in Wales!

Toffeelatteplease Fri 26-Jun-15 20:31:46

Dorset Wales Devon

TheABC Fri 26-Jun-15 20:39:04

You can't beat camping in Cornwall - preferably with sunshine!

Phineyj Fri 26-Jun-15 21:09:07

We have had successful family holidays with young DC in Norfolk (Cromer, Mundesley), Suffolk (Southwold) and Kent (Broadstairs). They all have good beaches. We also did a city trip to York - that was good as we could get there by train and there was lots to do - railway museum, Yorkvik etc - but there was a lot of noise at night in the city centre so it was hard to sleep.

My inlaws love Newquay (the one in Wales).

Phineyj Fri 26-Jun-15 21:10:00

Yorvik I mean!

MiaT28 Mon 29-Jun-15 12:49:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

vez123 Mon 29-Jun-15 12:52:15

We had great holidays in Wales and Cornwall. Loved both.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 29-Jun-15 12:53:47

Aberaeron in West Wales, it looks like Balamory....

hatchypomagain Mon 29-Jun-15 13:40:26

I always add woolacombe to this list - beautiful beach and lots to do for young and old

MiaT28 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:25:05

Just found this which has given me some great ideas www.shareadventure.co.uk what would I do without google!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now