Conkers in Derbyshire

(6 Posts)
noramum Mon 18-May-15 20:44:11

We are off for a long weekend to Derbyshire in July and when surfing what we can do I came across Conkers.

Has anybody been there? DD will be 8 and quite adventurous and loves being outside.

If anybody has any other recommendations please tell me. Apart from running around DD loves history.

fairgame Tue 19-May-15 20:00:04

Conkers is great day out.
DS was 8 when we went. There is an fab indoor hands on visitor centre and there is water play outside and a little train. In summer they put on plays in the outdoor theatre as well. When we went they had pony rides and there is a barefoot walk.
There is a massive assault course which is aimed at teenagers but there were some younger kids doing it when we went.

If she likes history then would Bolsover castle or Nottingham castle be within travelling distance for you? Bolsover usually have events on throughout summer.

noramum Wed 20-May-15 20:50:21

Thank you. We have a B&B in Matlock, so Nottingham may be a bit out. But Bolsover sounds good.

elizabethsmum Fri 29-May-15 21:03:09

conkers is a fab day out, loads of outdoor stuff plus fab indoor player as op has said. recently had a groupon offer locally (may still be on) half price family ticket £16 for four of us rather than £35. (look at Nottingham groupon- also on wowcher I think.) Chatsworth, crich tramway museum also recommended.smile

Baddz Fri 29-May-15 21:04:47

Chatsworth
Hardwick hall
Both fab

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 29-May-15 21:11:11

Chatsworth is well worth the money, the gardens more so than the house imo, but if you can afford to do both, I would.

There is fabulous walking. Mam Tor to Losehill is very accessible, even for those not used to walking.

The Derwent valley reservoirs are worth a visit too. You can hire bikes or walk. Just seeing the dams and learning the history is fascinating. If you feel like a more strenuous walk, the climb to Alport Castles is well worth it.

We are just coming to the end of our week in Hope near Castleton and have had a fabulous time walking and visit Chatsworth. Our dses are 10 and 12 so a bit older but they've been walking 8+ miles quite happily.

Castleton is lovely and has Peveril castle as well as lots of caverns and fabulous walks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now