Couple of hours in London with 7 year old girl, ideas please

(12 Posts)
fluffywhitekittens Tue 19-Aug-14 11:40:08

We are off to see Wicked on Thursday afternoon. I think we should have around two hours to do something else.
I was considering having a wander round Covent Garden as I don't think it will be enough time to do any of the museums or touristy things.
Any ideas and suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks

TheReluctantCountess Tue 19-Aug-14 18:28:52

Hamleys!

TheReluctantCountess Tue 19-Aug-14 18:29:42

And the cable car. If you have a travel card then it is only an extra £3 and is well worth it.

Happypiglet Tue 19-Aug-14 18:34:12

There are some fantastic 'book bench' trails in London at the moment (benches that look like they are made from and are decorated like famous books including kids books). There are 2 trials close(ish) to Covent Garden - the Bloomsbury trail which is around Russell Square area and the City trail around Bank at St Pauls.
Google 'National Literacy Trust' and there are maps to download and quizzes...we spent a whole very cheap day finding these benches last week... it was really good fun!

FairyPenguin Tue 19-Aug-14 18:58:07

Go and see the ceramic poppies at Tower of London? Can see from outside, no need to pay entry fee. You will also see Beefeaters outside, and walking over Tower Bridge is fun.

Go on a Thames Clipper boat - lovely views of the major landmarks.

That book bench trail sounds great. I'm going to look that up now!

TheReluctantCountess Tue 19-Aug-14 19:05:15

Ooooh yes the benches! We saw the Paddington Bear one and Great Expectations on the South Bank.

TheReluctantCountess Tue 19-Aug-14 19:05:59

The Monument is good. It's fairly cheap too.

tryingtocatchthewind Tue 19-Aug-14 19:06:54

Harrods or Hamleys are insane but it depends if you're from a big city.

Has she been to London before? She might like seeing some of the famous buildings she'll recognise like parliament, tower bridge etc

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 19-Aug-14 19:08:36

Definitely go on a river boat and go and see Big Ben and the London Eye.

FairyPenguin Tue 19-Aug-14 19:11:13

I've just looked at the book benches website and they look great! There are lots of children's books on the Riverside trail which she might recognise and it's near Tower Bridge.

Now trying to see if I can fit in a visit to London to see the book benches before they go!

306235388 Tue 19-Aug-14 19:14:13

I'd say a river boat or the London eye. Ds is 7 and loved the eye.

fluffywhitekittens Tue 19-Aug-14 19:29:36

Fantastic ideas, thanks everyone. I did think about the poppies at the tower and I'll look up the book bench trail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now