Alton towers

(14 Posts)
TurquoiseTranquility Sun 17-Aug-14 18:15:59

Is it likely to be busy on a term-time weekend? We're talking early September. DCs are too young to queue for more than 5 minutes. We're mostly thinking of the water park although might try CBeebies land.
TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 17-Aug-14 22:16:02

Not been to splash landings but if they aren't keen on queuing, have you thought of Thomasland?

sleepdodger Sun 17-Aug-14 22:22:24

Just been to cveebies
Was fab for 3yo x5 in our group
Also the aquarium for sAme age

TurquoiseTranquility Mon 18-Aug-14 02:09:25

Did think of Thomas land, thanks, but not sure there'd be enough to do JUST in Thomas land and if not, then it's much too expensive because I don't think DCs would be allowed on any of the rides in the main park (DC1 is just under 5 and about 104 tall, DC2's only 15 m.o.)
Still thinking of it though.

Alton Towers splash thing just looked so good for them and not too expensive (as entry is separate from the rides) but then I read all the reviews about horrendous traffic just to get to the ruddy place!

Not sure it's worth risking it now, even with the 1/2 price vouchers, coz if there are long queues DH will never forgive me! hmm I think he hates queuing more than the kids!

If someone knows it not to be the case on a weekend in September feel free to tell me otherwise grin

TurquoiseTranquility Mon 18-Aug-14 02:10:24

sleepdodger, what aquarium do you mean?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 18-Aug-14 06:55:48

Raffia entirely depends on when you go and what time. I've seen massive queues but usually on a bank holiday and when there had been crashes.

TurquoiseTranquility Mon 18-Aug-14 15:36:47

Jilted we're thinking weekend, but in term time. Probably the 1st weekend in September. Now does a weekend automatically mean crowds?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 18-Aug-14 19:55:22

Don't think so, we usually go at the weekend in April and there is barely anyone there. We also arrive from the North and go early, we've never had to queue. The jams I've seen have been later and approaching from the South, so if you're coming from the A50 you might want to look at alternative routes smile

Have you seen the special offers?

TurquoiseTranquility Fri 22-Aug-14 23:46:34

yes I have, thanks, none of those really suit us unfortunately sad
we probably would be coming from the south, we're going camping and I'm thinking of Cannock Chase. The campsite is a good 40 min drive and if those 40 min turn into an hour or longer it wouldn't be worth it really.

I was also considering the south edge of the Peak District which would be a much shorter drive to AT (and also a greater choice of campsites), but it's too long a drive from home.. would be well over 2 hours on clear roads and ideally we didn't want anything further than 2 hour drive!

What sort of time did you mean when you said jams start later? We aren't the earliest risers... blush

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 23-Aug-14 21:01:21

Think the ones I've seen are heading on for lunch time. If you are camping, have a look at star farm. Its in Alton smile

Hulababy Sat 23-Aug-14 21:13:59

5y may be fine with queuing if you come up with ways to distract. DD went to Disney at 2 and 4 and managed queues really well, even in het, with a bit of silly distraction.

Splash Landings would be fine for little ones - it is more suitable for younger children than older ones ime, though less so for the 15mo obviously. Not been to CBeebies land at AT.

We have always been to AT at weekends or school holidays and tent to arrive for opening. Never had issues with queuing traffic tbh.

Have you considered Gullivers? That is aimed at children. Some of the Gullivers have an indoor water play park too.

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 18:33:43

We went first Sunday of summer hols, we got there for about 9.45 and had to queue for about 20 mins to get on the monorail which takes you from the carpark to the entrance. Queue was moving all the time though and DCs were all excited so it wasn't at all painful!
Once we were inside the queues for individual rides were far less than I expected, queues in cbeebies land perhaps a bit longer than elsewhere but still no more than about ten minutes (and this was in the summer hols!) I thought it was great, loads to do and very clean. The aquarium is fab. Good to go on a warm day as the water rides are really good fun (especially the pirate galleons where you fire water at each other and get completely drenched). Personally I'd only recommend it for children taller than 1.2m as there is a lot they can't go on if under that height.

heatherks Mon 01-Sep-14 16:55:46

does the monorail still take you around the park ..or just from the carpark to the entrance ...we are coming down in September with a coach tour and thought it would be a good idea for the kids and maybe of seeing everything better from being higher up ... i was last down just over 20 years ago so can see a lot of changes since then lol

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Sep-14 21:08:13

I think the monorail just takes you to the park, but there is always the chair lift smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now