National History Museum - butterflies?

(4 Posts)
Liney15 Sat 09-Aug-14 18:41:47

I've promised 4 year old DD a trip to the national history museum as we've a trip to the south planned to visit relatives.

I'm thinking of booking tickets to the butterflies as I think she'd enjoy that and will also book tickets for dinosaurs as that's the main reason for going.

However I know that queues will be horrendous to get in as it's the school holidays. If I book tickets for the butterflies does that allow you to enter the museum fast track system, does anyone know please? Otherwise are there any other tips? I can't get there when it opens as we need to get the cheaper trains unfortunately.

domesticslattern Sat 09-Aug-14 23:35:44

Hello Liney
The butterflies are in a tent just outside the museum building so won't get you inside.
What do you mean by book tickets for the dinosaurs? Do you mean a special paid for exhibition? I would just do the free stuff, the dinosaurs are free and always busy but other parts of the museum will be less manic. Also check opening times as it gets much quieter towards the end of the day.
I hope you have a nice time.

Liney15 Sun 10-Aug-14 07:57:57

Cheers for that. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure about layout/location of butterflies.

You can book free tickets for a specific time to look at the dinosaur exhibition so you don't have to queue for that as well.

BeaLola Mon 18-Aug-14 00:20:09

I took DS one Saturday in June and we had to queue for about 20 mins for the dinosaurs -I expect in holidays it is busier so I would be tempted to book for that so you have it covered. We ate in the museum and it was lovely. dS loved the normal animals exhibit and loved weighing himself against the polar bear, whale etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now