Places to eat with kids in London

(46 Posts)
TheSteveMilliband Thu 07-Aug-14 09:36:46

We're off to London for the weekend, with ds, 4&6. I remember the thrill of trips to London and really would like to take them somewhere that has that London buzz (China town etc) but know it'll be a long day and don't fancy too much travelling around. We are going to the natural history museum sat and staying in regents park area, so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of where to eat with young kids around those areas (or in between). Or should I just sod it and take them to China Town!

TortillasAndChocolate Thu 07-Aug-14 09:39:04

I took my DS to London a couple of weeks ago - we ate in Carluccios, an Italian in south Kensington just near the tube and it was really nice and kid friendly.

ancientbuchanan Thu 07-Aug-14 09:45:18

Carluccios always a good bet.
Any Bryon, ace burger place. Amazing milk shakes
Giraffe, on the south bank, because the south bank is just fun to wander up and down and there us a playground and an ice cream van, and usually a bounce castle and people as statues.
The bbq in regents park, by the open air theatre ( check what's on, though may be too old)
The ice cream place in Camden lock that uses dry ice

The restaurant in the science museum is pretty good. Or take your own sarnies and sit on the steps in the interactive area for children in the basement.
China town, obv

TheSteveMilliband Thu 07-Aug-14 09:49:18

Thanks tortillas, italian always goes down well with kids too. Tripadvisor hasn't been very helpful, not sure how child friendly the "child friendly" places are when there are no kids menus / portions advertised. In a way I'd rather avoid chains - am more excited about the trip than the boys (!) and hopeful for a hidden gem that they might enjoy too!

TheSteveMilliband Thu 07-Aug-14 10:42:20

Sorry - got sidetracked with phone calls. Thanks Buchanan, open air theatre sounds great - maybe one for another time as porgy and bess might be a bit ambitious for now!
I quite fancy the south bank, might wander round convent gardens / west end then south bank before heading home on Sunday. I hear there's a moomin event at convent garden grin

LindaMcCartneySausage Fri 08-Aug-14 14:06:45

Not really keen on China Town, but if you like Chinese food and you're staying in Regent's Park, why not take the DCs to The Royal China for dim sum Sunday lunch - not cheap but v child friendly and amazing food.

TheSteveMilliband Fri 08-Aug-14 18:59:50

Have had a look at the menu, it looks luvverly Linda. Do you think it'd be child friendly in early evening?

Nerf Fri 08-Aug-14 19:02:38

Palms in Covent garden? Rainforest cafe ? remortgage first

TheSteveMilliband Fri 08-Aug-14 19:16:35

Palms looks lovely, nerf. Do you think it'd be ok for kids though? Kids options? Rainforest cafe - ouch! Sure kids would love it, us - not so much wink

RobinEllacott Fri 08-Aug-14 19:18:09

If you're near the museums, there's a whole little group of restaurants on Exhibition Road - Brindisa and Comptoir Libanais are both nice, and quite speedy with small children.

Nydj Fri 08-Aug-14 19:24:13

There are a couple of ping pongs ( dim sum) restaurants in the marlebone high street area and they have a eat as much dim sum as you want for £20 on Sunday afternoons with half price for under 12s. details here

tobeabat Fri 08-Aug-14 19:25:48

Go to the Real Food Market behind the Royal Festival Hall, then take the food in there to eat, before checking out what's on in the vicinity . Enjoy!

Nydj Fri 08-Aug-14 19:26:03

Just remembered there are lots of Middle eastern restaurants including maroush along edgeware road not too far from you

Nerf Fri 08-Aug-14 19:30:44

Yes, not as kid friendly as a brewsters but nice local Italian type in the middle of fun stuff - if it's warn and someone's noisy at least you can wander outside for a minute smile

kate1516 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:39:47

I like borough Market. Lots of food stalls so they could pick what they want but downside is no seating. Wahaca in Covent Garden has a good vibe and is reasonable for London if they would try Mexican. I haven't been but the rainforest cafe is good for kids. Is jungle themed with waterfalls et

kate1516 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:41:15

Sorry totally ignored where you said you were staying

TheSteveMilliband Fri 08-Aug-14 20:16:48

Am desperately trying to workout how we can eat everywhere! Comptoir libanaise looks fab, ping pong for dim sum sounds yum and brindisa good too. Have got theatre tickets (children's week so a bargain!) so we will probably stick around convent garden area or head to regents park sat night and see if we can get lunch on Sunday near museums. Thanks for all the suggestions, beats garfunkels or maccie Ds!thanks

petalpowered Fri 08-Aug-14 20:18:42

Sorry to hijack but has anyone eaten at the rainforest cafe?

Pico2 Fri 08-Aug-14 20:23:07

Covent Garden is great for "vibe". We took DD there and ended up watching lots of street performers.

CaurnieBred Fri 08-Aug-14 20:24:15

Fire and Stone do great pizza and that is in Covent Garden

TheSteveMilliband Fri 08-Aug-14 20:47:04

Pico, think there's some moomin stuff on around covent garden this weekend too which sounds good. Wachaca - ooh, too much choice!

pluCaChange Fri 08-Aug-14 20:59:25

We went to the Covent Garden Grill this week. They have an Express Menu, and DD's hamburger was clearly minced (and herbed!) there. My grilled chicken was also v nice!

My only caveat is that we were there late, 2-ish, so things were calm. However, the waiter was very good, so no doubt they cope with busy times, too.

Nerf Fri 08-Aug-14 21:11:42

Petal we went this weekend. Good to book or pop in and see how long a wait. Kids menu is around £15 a head and you need to walk through the shop, but it is brilliant. A lot for them to see and lovely food. I really enjoyed mine, and quite often veggie options are a bit pants.

Nerf Fri 08-Aug-14 21:12:07

OP what are you seeing? We saw mamma mia - amazing.

TheSteveMilliband Fri 08-Aug-14 21:14:23

Plusca that looks good and grown up. Hoping should be early enough not to book so can see how the mood takes us. Can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now