GeoCaching

(20 Posts)
1805 Wed 23-Jul-14 01:08:06

Anyone done it? The site says there's a route very near us, and I was wondering if these things actually exist? Is it worth doing?
Thanks

Yes, there are loads of them out there, all over the place. It took us a while to get the hang of it, at first we found it quite hard to find them but we have a pretty good strike rate now. I just use an app on my phone.

TurboWithAKick Wed 23-Jul-14 08:11:08

Yeah, we've done loads all over the country.

Glastokitty Wed 23-Jul-14 08:14:48

Yes I've cached in loads of countries, they are everywhere. If you are starting out don't look for nanos, they are tiny and boring.

BuzzardBird Wed 23-Jul-14 08:19:31

My dd loves it! It makes an ordinary walk for exercise more exciting. Take a pen and some small items you can leave for children.

We only do the traditional caches (green markers on the website), haven't got into the ones which are a series of clues leading to a final cache. That's because we just do them randomly if there happens to be one nearby rather than making it the focus of a day out. The DCs do prefer the larger ones where you swap stuff, but DD never wants to put any of our things in, she hates giving away stuff (she doesn't want to take things either to be fair). DS on the other hand loves sswapping things. We have found a few travelbugs this year too, which has added extra interest.

Last week we stumbled on a brand new one (DS spotted it, it wasn't terribly well hidden), it still hasn't popped up on the website but we did fill in its log, wish it would appear! Going back that way later, will be interesting to see if anyone else has filled in the log since us.

1805 Thu 24-Jul-14 00:51:24

Well, we looked for two different ones today, one 'small' located at the end of our road, and an 'easy/first time' one nearby, but we couldn't find either of them. sad
How many get moved or taken away? Or are we just rubbish?? I'm pretty sure we were in the right places.

How annoying. They do get lost sometimes, but more often they are there IME. Did you look at the previous logs by other people, also the hint? I often need extra clues from these and always look at them. Also, what device are you using? I find with my iphone that you can't narrow it down to a radius of less than about 5m which is quite a big space to search, it's worst under tree cover where the GPS is a bit erratic.

Agree uou need to remember the gps on your phone probably narrows down to a 12-15 foot circle. Try looking for something that's out of place, or a tiny trail. We love it, our holiday plans include lots of caching as it takes us to unusual places that we'd otherwise not know existed.

Agree uou need to remember the gps on your phone probably narrows down to a 12-15 foot circle. Try looking for something that's out of place, or a tiny trail. We love it, our holiday plans include lots of caching as it takes us to unusual places that we'd otherwise not know existed.

Yes, look for little piles of logs at the base of trees, also quite often they are nestled in between branch and trunk at head height, or in a hole in a trunk or log. Gateposts or other pillars are often where they hide too. Stand there and think "if I was going to place one here where would I put it?".

1805 Thu 24-Jul-14 18:17:55

found our first one!! It was easy! I reckon the other two weren't there, as this one didn't take long to find at all.
I hadn't thought of looking above the ground!!!

Well done!

0dd Thu 24-Jul-14 18:29:28

Humph.

Geocaching, promises much but delivers nothing.

<grumpy face>

We tried 4 but found none so gave up.

That's what happened to us at first, it is worth persisting though, there's definitely a knack to it. The one nearest my house is in a woods, I spent a good 20 mins looking for it twice last year, then a few months ago took DD (8) with me for another go and she found it in about 20s.

enderwoman Thu 24-Jul-14 18:45:47

My children are much better at geocaching than me too. They seem to spot the hiding places really quickly. Grrr...

1805 Thu 24-Jul-14 18:52:16

I can feel a summer of caching coming on now……..

I was perhaps slightly over excited at finding our first one!!!!

Been geocaching twice now. First time 5/5 finds, second 1/3 so not so good. However. Reading the logs afterwards one if the ones we didn't find had months of DNF's so likely moved/lost.
Good fun though smile

I always check the first page previous logs to see when it was last found and also whether there is a lot of DNF. I have wasted time searching for ones that others can't find. I also use the hints and any other info I've gained from some of the logs.

ProfYaffle Sat 06-Sep-14 09:27:21

Agree with everyone else, it just takes a little time to get into the groove. We found a couple then had about 3 dnf so got discouraged. Then on holiday we did a longish walk and got 10 in one day so were definitely hooked at that point and now have quite a good hit rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now