Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London

(9 Posts)
breward Tue 15-Apr-14 17:47:21

Had a fabulous day out there yesterday. Boy, they have thrown some money at the place! The play parks are amazing... Big tree houses with high rope bridges , water channels that can be dammed, huge sand pits, woodland trails, climbing walls etc. We took 4 children between 9 and 13 and all were busy exploring and playing for hours.

You can go into the velodrome for free and watch the cyclists. There is a great viewing area for the BMX track too. You can hire a child's bike and helmet for £6 to go on the mountain bike trail or cycle paths. The swimming pool viewing area is free. So we watched some swimming and diving. You can swim in the pool for about £3.50 but it was all booked up when we checked online. The orbit had no queues but for £40 per family the free view from John Lewis won the day.

The Olympic and Paralympic signs are still up and have great views and photo opportunities. Do add it to your must-do in London lists.

Roseformeplease Tue 15-Apr-14 17:48:51

Thanks for this. I am taking a group of pupils in June. Stratford station? Also, how long to allow for a quick look? They are mid - late teens. Thamks

breward Tue 15-Apr-14 17:57:05

Yes, Stratford station and 10-15 minutes walk. You do go through part of Westfield, past Nike shop etc... So it may take longer with teens.

A quick look at all the venues about 1 hour.

Good luck keeping all those teens off the play equipment... They will be in seventh heaven!

Merrylegs Tue 15-Apr-14 18:10:28

Oh this is useful, thank you. I am taking my teens on Friday - going to watch the basketball in the copperbox in the evening. Did I read that there were table tennis tables you could borrow bats for and play?

noorqt Tue 15-Apr-14 18:32:02

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there an entry fee??

breward Tue 15-Apr-14 18:55:20

No entry fee.

Did not see any table tennis tables. That is not to say there aren't any.

millimat Fri 25-Jul-14 14:18:49

Ooh going there in a couple of weeks. Is it all in one place?

citymum3 Mon 11-Aug-14 23:04:16

We went last week and there were tennis nets and racquets and balls to borrow near the Copper Box venue. Was very busy close to main stadium much less so further north.

bruffin Mon 11-Aug-14 23:20:37

We had to pay to view in the swimming pool a few weeks ago, but it was only £2 for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 teens)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now