What are the 'must visit' places in Scotland?

(26 Posts)
CrockedPot Fri 21-Mar-14 21:51:29

We are going for a week at Easter, staying in Culross. Planning a day out in Edinburgh (castle) and Glasgow, and a drive out to Loch Lomond, but wondered where else are recommendations for a family with two boys aged 7 and 5? Thanks x

Quoteunquote Sat 22-Mar-14 15:36:55

Edinburgh zoo has pandas. There is not much opportunity to see them else where.

You want to be standing in or near the castle at 1pm.

Edinburgh museum is great.

CrockedPot Sat 22-Mar-14 17:42:07

Ooh, thanks, what happens at Edinburgh castle at 1?

Quoteunquote Sat 22-Mar-14 19:14:24

A massive gun is let off, you can stand quite near and watch. Children love it if they know it going to happen, but burst into tears if they don't.

LtGreggs Sat 22-Mar-14 19:25:18

If it's a nice day, I recommend Loch lomond trip to Balmaha - get the little ferry to the island (forgotten the name - inch something) which has picnic & bbq area & is great for swimming.

Hills with great view-effort ratio and doable by kids are Conic Hill (Loch Lomond) and Ben A'an (Trossachs) - some great cake cafes near Ben A'an.

Aberlour nice for seaside. Also Tentsmuir Forest up above St Andrews has nice mix of beach, forest & proper toilets.

LtGreggs Sat 22-Mar-14 19:30:22

Not sure what your drive time to Dunkeld would be - but that has lovely walks, fish & chips by the Tay and might by then have Osprey in residence - there is RSPB place with hides & telescopes set up.

Blair Atholl is also up that way - castle, adventure playground, gardens etc.

If weather awful, you should be able to do two days in each of Glasgow & Edinburgh without getting bored!

HemlockStarglimmer Sat 22-Mar-14 19:32:41

If you venture into Fife the Secret Bunker is pretty interesting.

dementedma Sat 22-Mar-14 19:40:06

Culross is lovely, I uses to live near there. If castles are your thing, head in the other direction for Stirling castle and while you are over that way, take a boat trip on the Falkirk Wheel and visit the Kelpies.
Head up the East Neuk of Fife to the fishing villages of Crail and Anstruther - best fish and chips ever in Anstruther - lovely beach at Elie.
St Andrews has the West Sands - miles of beach which can be cold and windswept if the weather is inclement

LtGreggs Sat 22-Mar-14 19:42:37

Me again (live in central Scot and have 5 & 7 yo boys and am quite enthusiastic! ) - a top activity for us, which might be quite special if you're from somewhere without so much space / 'wilderness' - is to find a bit of lochside and set up camp for a few hrs. Make a fire (warms up a spring picnic!) and mess about by the water, dam the stream, make a shelter from branches etc. Take a thermos and a rug and kids will play for ages...

sleepyhead Sat 22-Mar-14 19:48:35

The Falkirk Wheel is really good. I've never bothered to go up it in a boat actually, but it's really interesting watching it work and seeing boats go through the lock.

There's also a good water play park based on locks and wheels for children, plus another decent play park. Also walks around the canal - you could have a great day/half day there if the weather was dry.

sleepyhead Sat 22-Mar-14 19:50:20

Another boat/water related one: boat trip from South Queensferry out to Inchcolm Island. Lots of exploring for the kids on the island. I think you get a couple of hours there.

The aquarium at North Queensferry (Deep Sea World) is good if the weather isn't kind to you.

LtGreggs Sat 22-Mar-14 19:54:15

To make a big day of a Falkirk trip you could add in Summerlee - it's a museum of 'industrial heritage' so old machines, tram, mine tour etc. I think it is OK but kids seem to super - love it smile. It is free!

hoboken Sat 22-Mar-14 19:54:31

Edinburgh, The East Neuk of Fife, Fort William (not the town, the area around it), Glencoe, Applecross, Peebles & Melrose in the Borders, Skye

lotsofcheese Sat 22-Mar-14 20:10:06

If the weather is good, a trip to Almond Valley in Livingston is great for kids - they have a website. It's just across the River Forth. There are also good outlet store shops in Livingston & it has a cinema, plus restaurants in the complex.

St Andrews is about an hour's drive from Culross, Stirling Castle &Wallace monument about 30 mins - eat in Corrieri's afterwards (near bottom of monument) or head into Bridge of Allan.

Glasgow is pretty accessible too - train from Stirling or Alloa - the Science museum & Imax/planetarium are excellent - was there recently with my 5 year old DS & he loved it. Also the Transport museum & Kelvingrove Art Gallery.

In Edinburgh, I'd recommend the National Museum in Chambers St - eat lunch or dinner in Vittoria's nearby. Ocean Terminal has the Royal Yacht Brittania, shopping, soft play. Camera Obscura is good too & Dynamic Earth on the Royal Mile.

Dunfermline has cinema/bowling/mini golf & food outlets at Halbeath.

Plenty to keep you busy!!

dementedma Sat 22-Mar-14 20:36:46

Ooh yes, the Science Museum in Glasgow is brilliant.

CrockedPot Sun 23-Mar-14 20:54:58

All sound so great, it looks like we are going to be spoilt for choice, many thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

SuperLemonCrush Sun 23-Mar-14 21:00:21

St Andrews and Stirling are both lovely, and will be close by. Falkland ditto. Do you have NT/NTS membership.? Culross + Falkland are NTS, Stirling Castle and St Andrews castle/cathedral are Historic Scotland. Avoid Deep Sea World unless you need awet weather option.

sleepyhead Sun 23-Mar-14 21:08:30

If you have any Tesco clubcard vouchers then check out if anywhere you want to go takes them. Almond Valley, Glasgow Science Centre, the Camera Obscura in Edinburgh all certainly do.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 23-Mar-14 21:10:05

FYI: one o'clock gun at Edinburgh Castle is not fired on Sunday.

dementedma Sun 23-Mar-14 21:23:46

Stirling castle is a whopping £18 for adult s and £11 for children! Thank God we are members of Historic Scotland and got in for free! The Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum is free and a good way to kill an hour. You can meet Oswald, the museum cat and the cafe does lovely coffee!

sleepyhead Sun 23-Mar-14 21:34:49

Historic Scotland do reciprocal free entry (half price in first year of membership) for English Heritage members.

We've got Historic Scotland membership and one visit to Edinburgh Castle or Stirling Castle pretty much means it pays for itself for the whole year. They are ££.

Same goes with National Trust for Scotland/National Trust. Culzean Castle, for example, is a great day out but v pricey if you're not a Trust member.

CrockedPot Mon 24-Mar-14 15:59:45

We have got national trust membership, does it also apply in Scotland, does anyone know?

National Trust has a reciprocal deal with National Trust for Scotland.

sleepyhead Mon 24-Mar-14 16:19:44

Yes, and Culross Palace is Trust so you can use your membership if you visit.

Falkland Palace is nice as well (also Trust).

sleepyhead Mon 24-Mar-14 16:20:43

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now