Things to do in London with 9 and 11 year old girls next week - suggestions needed.

(10 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Mar-14 10:29:49

A friend is hosting two American girls, aged 9-11 (with adults in tow) in Central London March 14-21 and wanted to know if you had any suggestions of ‘must do’ activities/places to visit. They are New Yorkers, who have already seen quite a few of the big shows, but it would be great to have recommendations for restaurants, museums and events that are on that week or attractions your kids have enjoyed.
I've suggested London eye and aquarium and I personally love a double decker bus trip. My son just enjoyed the tree walk at Kew on a school trip and we loved Matilda and Wicked - but haven't eaten out anywhere amazing recently or done much in the museums-line?

All suggestions welcome - thanks so much.

joydivisionovengloves Fri 07-Mar-14 11:50:25

Boat trip from Westminster to the Tower or all the way to Greenwich
Tower of London
British Museum
Science Museum
Natural History Museum
Changing of the Guard

The Harry Potter Studio Tour

nicename Fri 07-Mar-14 11:55:12

I suspect they will want to do 'trendy shopping'. Maybe do Covent Garden?

Don't do the double decker bus tour - they are so bloody sloooooooow!Best to get a day bus pass and hop on/off the usual routes - the new double deckers are actually really good (I could kiss the person who thought of having two staircases!)

Somewhere to eat with a view is nice - I love being on the rives - Southbank with lunch at the Tate Modern top floor? Then trot over the wobbly bridge to St Pauls, Old Bailey and the City/Fleet Street?

Pantah630 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:56:43

Viking exhibition at The British Museum is now open and looks like a good one, we're planning to go up soon. They also still have the Beyond El Dorado exhibit on, which is also worth a look. Charlotte Street not too far away from there has lots of restaurants. Wahaca is very good, my youngest, just 14, loves eating there when we're in London.

They may want to visit Buckingham Palace, our American cousins all wanted to go while us Brits aren't bothered.

If they like art, both Tate Britain and Modern are great.

Ask them what they fancy, if they're quite savvy they'll already have a list of places they want to visit.

nicename Fri 07-Mar-14 11:58:03

The V&A have some good stuff and wont be as busy at the British museum, which will be bloody packed!

SoldeInvierno Sun 09-Mar-14 09:43:58

Cutty Sark

Tower of London / Buckingham Palace
Camden/Chalk Farm markets for some shopping

ihatethecold Mon 10-Mar-14 16:31:58

My dd10 loves the beauty hall in self ridges.
Obv just to window shop.
She could lose hours in there.

Sorry not very cultured I know!

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 17-Mar-14 04:16:11

Museum of London by the London wall is an interesting place to spend an afternoon. It is a 10 min walk from both St. Paul's cathedral (if you go on a sat you might see a wedding like we did) TAte modern which are all situated along the river. Nearest tube St. Paul's on the central line & overground is the Thameslink.

www.londonforfree.net/outdoors/bustour/bustour.shtml

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now