Directions to Natural History Museum from Victoria

(12 Posts)
Primrose123 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:35:31

DD, aged 16, is going to London with her boyfriend on a day trip, as they want to go to the NHM. They are both bright kids, but can be geographically challenged! Having looked at maps, they have worked out that they can walk from Victoria Coach Station to the museum, and it should take about 15 minutes. I don't know this area at all, but a friend has said that it's too far to walk.

Is it too far for two healthy 16 year olds? If so, is there a bus they can take? I'm not sure I trust them to get there on the tube, as neither of them have ever been on it.

They will have phones, so will be able to look at a map or satnav if needed, but I'd like them to print out a map too and know where they are going in advance.

Thanks in advance for any advice. smile

Procrastreation Sat 22-Feb-14 18:37:56

They'll be fine!

(Take the district line to South Ken - it's striahgforward)

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 22-Feb-14 18:39:04

Agreed- it will be much easier to get there by tube than to walk. The tube has excellent signage.

Trapper Sat 22-Feb-14 18:41:31

Www.tfl.gov.uk route planner will give you bus and walking routes that you can print off. It will so factor in any planned closures/diversions.

pancakesfortea Sat 22-Feb-14 18:42:16

It is walkable - I often walk it. But it will take about half an hour and is actually quite a tricky one to navigate. I say that as a Londoner who walks everywhere. I don't normally say it but on this occasion I would get the tube or the 360 bus from outside the coach station.

Bearleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 18:43:02

The tube is pretty boring though. I would walk it on a fine day - it would be a nice pootle through Belgravia:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=victoria+bus+station&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari&ie=UTF-8&ei=aO4IU5muFpOu7AaYtoCoBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Feb-14 18:43:02

It's not far, but it's more than 15 mins! More than 30-40. Tbh, it is a very simple tube journey from Victoria. They want to get the District/Circle Line 2 stops West through Sloane Square and get off at South Kensington. SK is a small station and there is a well signed, well used, well lit tunnel from tge station to the museums. The whole journey will take about 15 min.

Bearleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 18:45:58

OH dear my route failed to copy but it was a fairly standard one off my iPad, zig zagging up, only hitting the A40 just before they reach the NHM. It would take about 35 mins though as BikeRunSki said.

It's not too far to walk, but it'd take them more like half an hour, I think. It's not a bad idea so long as they have a map -- alternatives would be walking to Sloane Square (more practical from the coach station than Victoria itself) and getting the tube to South Ken (but that would only save them about ten minutes, which they could easily waste buying tickets) or getting the C1 bus (which would only save about five minutes).

Primrose123 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:48:39

Wow that was quick! Thanks everyone!

I'll talk to them about the tube then especially if it is raining.

I'm also worried about them getting lost on their way back to Victoria. Their bus leaves at six, and they can't catch a later one if they miss it!

At a push, on the way back, roughly how much would a taxi cost from the museum to the coach station? (just in case they get lost and start panicking).

Driving it'd be about two miles and take maybe ten minutes in average busy-ish-but-not-too-busy traffic. TFL estimates suggest that a black cab would cost somewhere between £8.60 and £13.80. A minicab would be cheaper, but they'd have to get one.

You could make sure your DD has the Hail-O app downloaded on her phone (assuming she has a smartphone) and you have an account all set up and authorised (you could link a credit card if you're feeling brave), then she could get a black cab from that if you're concerned about her hailing one.

Primrose123 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:32:25

Well, they went on Thursday and had a wonderful time! They walked both ways, didn't find it too far, and didn't get too lost! Thanks for all the advice. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now