Things to do in Canterbury

(11 Posts)
DystopianReality Sun 09-Feb-14 17:40:13

We are going to Canterbury for half term with 3 (nearly) teens, 12, 14 and 16. I have been told we can only go to the catherdral once! No more..
Might go and look at the uni but would be appreciative of any other suggestions of what to do.
We are members of the National Trust but would love some slightly more 'Fun' and less 'worthy' days out with teens.

SoMuchToBits Sun 09-Feb-14 17:52:02

Will you just be in Canterbury, or do you also want to explore the surrounding area?

You can go on a river trip in Canterbury, they take you on a small rowing boat and point out all the interesting things you can see from the river. There's also the "Canterbury Tales" place, a bit like Yorvik in York, where there are tableau scenes of stuff from history, with real smells etc.

DystopianReality Sun 09-Feb-14 17:55:18

We are staying in the centre in a town house but are mobile in a car so can explore whole area.

SoMuchToBits Sun 09-Feb-14 18:01:56

If you like the seaside you could visit Whitstable (nice little shops, a small lifeboat station, and a small museum which is quite interesting). Broadstairs is also a nice seaside place, where you can have a walk along the seafront, and hopefully a game of crazy golf at the Mini Golf (it's usually open in half term if the weather is fine - it also has a café which does teas, coffees etc).

A bit further away, but Dover Castle is good to visit, and Deal also has a (much smaller) castle.

dingit Sun 09-Feb-14 18:04:07

If it's raining ( dare I say it?) shopping at Bluewater.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 09-Feb-14 18:18:02

Canterbury is lovely, the Cathedral is stunning. Dover castle is well worth a visit as is Walmer and Deal, these are all English Heritage sites.

Whitstable and Broadstairs are nice, as is Deal and Sandwich.

Howletts is fab, we go there all the time. grin

milkybarsrus Fri 14-Feb-14 16:42:49

I used to live in Canterbury, and there is not a lot to do in this terrible weather to be honest, sorry! I'm afraid with 3 teens you will have to do town type things in this rain. Like cinema, bowling, shopping. Which is much the same as you would probably do at home. All the suggestions above are great when it's dry though. So fingers crossed.

SoMuchToBits Fri 14-Feb-14 19:39:36

Cathedral, Canterbury Tales and poss Dover Castle would be ok on a wet day. But it looks like good weather for Sunday - we are hoping to head for Broadstairs and game of crazy golf/walk by the sea. smile

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Fri 14-Feb-14 19:55:11

If you are eating in Broadstairs try Posillipos, you can sit at the back and watch the boats go by. grin

SoMuchToBits Fri 14-Feb-14 20:01:02

We will be going to the Charles Dickens pub for lunch, and then have a cuppa with traditional knitted tea cosy at the crazy golf! Creatures of habit , we are! grin

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sat 15-Feb-14 09:20:05

I like your style! grin

Love Broadstairs, we go every week in the summer as we just live just down the road. They have a fabulous folk festival in the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now