Day trip to France

(4 Posts)
Vickisuli Thu 30-Jan-14 13:49:01

I just took advantage of Eurotunnel's special offer of £20 day trips to France in half term. But now wondering what exactly I'm going to do while there.... I have children aged 3,5 and 7, and I am not (and they certainly aren't) really interested in going shopping. Obviously we'll have meals while there but a) I don't want to spend much money and b) they will just be meals not the be all and end all of the trip.

I looked online and all the tourist information is directed at adults, walking tours of Boulogne, historic buildings etc, and I think there's only so much of that my kids will be interested in, so I need to find some fun (but cheap) things to do with them. We've been to Nausicaa before, it's fab but also hideously expensive, and this is supposed to be a cheap day out.

Has anyone got any tips of parks/playgrounds/nice places to take kids in Calais or Boulogne? They all learn French, so I thought it would be nice to go to France for a trip but I'm hoping they're not going to be bored after 5 minutes as we arrive at 9am and leave at 7.30pm!

Bourdic Thu 30-Jan-14 13:55:07

Depending on the weather, how about the beach? We went to Wissant, had lunch in a small family restaurant where my dgs spoke some French and then we drove down to the beach and chased waves and drew on the sand. Lots of kite flying going on. ( this was late November)

Bourdic Thu 30-Jan-14 13:56:15

Dgs is 3 btw.

pinkcheese Sun 09-Feb-14 17:51:46

Drive up to Dunkirk, have lunch at one of the cafes by the beach, walk round the old town, there's a good maritime museum (check opening times), play on the beach. We loved it and wondered why more people don't rave about it. Much nicer than Calais!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now