Days out... Cornwall

(14 Posts)
serin Tue 21-Jan-14 22:55:16

Porthcurno beach is next to the Minack theatre smile

Meglet Mon 20-Jan-14 19:22:42

errol I was wondering what beach was next to the Minack. It was stunning the day we went, I was looking at it thinking it didn't even look like a british beach. This summer I'll pack our beach kit so we can head down after the show.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 20-Jan-14 18:53:18

The Minack theatre is on the cliffs above porthcurno so you can take a look at it at the same time. We saw an enormous seal when walking along the cliff there. Not sure I'd take a 16mo old to a performance but DD loved the ones we've seen there.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 19-Jan-14 20:18:31

All the recommendations so far have been great.

Flambards is expensive (IMO) so look out for deals/vouchers. It can also get very busy. It's just been sold so the new owners may change things around.

Falmouth Maritime Museum is good for those ages, especially wet weather. The swimming pool in Falmouth has waves/flumes/river run sessions which kids love.

But, TBH, the point about Cornwall really is to hang out on a beach or somewhere wild and for kids to make their own fun...

spudmasher Sun 19-Jan-14 20:18:14

Crealy is oK for little ones but my pair had a better time at Springfields for some reason. Smaller, more close up animal action!
The boat trip from St Ives to see seals is lovely. So is the boat trip from Fowey up the river, then out to sea.
For the really adventurous, there is fun to be had at Lusty Glaze or Adrenaline Quarry nr Liskeard- your 11yr old might go for that.

Meglet Sun 19-Jan-14 20:12:40

We're going to Lizard for the 3rd year running this summer, it is beautiful.

What everyone else has said plus...

Minack Theatre. Not sure about the weather in May but they should have some kids shows on. If you're passing I think it's open for visits inbetween shows.

Kennack Sands beach, we saw Basking Sharks there last year. Slightly more family friendly than Kynance, but Kynance is the prettiest.

Lizard Lighthouse is worth a trip.

clairedrelincourt Wed 15-Jan-14 20:33:57

Last time we were down there we stayed in Newquay at hendra but wanted to go further down this year. We noticed a few attractions like crealys flambards Holywell Bay fun Park. Does anyone have any idea what these are like. Or if there's any others. Thanks for the suggestions for beaches, we will definitely try kayance Cove (if spelt correctly)

ErrolTheDragon Wed 15-Jan-14 18:33:48

>Lanhydrock house is lovely

It is, but its towards the east. we used to stay in penzance and stop at Lanhydrock on the way rather than going there for a day trip - its near the A 30.

invicta Wed 15-Jan-14 18:18:20

We loved Polperro, Fowey, and Looe. The Eden Project was okay, but basically is one large garden. It's quite expensive, so look for offers including Tesco vouchers, or go later in the day - it was cheaper. Falmouth is good also. Padstow is very pretty, but gets very crowded. You can hire bikes to go along the Camel way, which us good.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 15-Jan-14 18:16:29

If you want to go to any gardens, the one with the maze is (IIRC) Glendurgan, our favourite in that part was Trevano which had a really good playground. I wouldn't go to Eden starting from there.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 15-Jan-14 18:14:55

Porthcurno is a gorgeous beach, and the Museum of Submarine Telegraphy there is really good (honestly, my DD loved it). That's not on the Lizard...I was confusing it with our favourite there, Poldhu.

kilmuir Wed 15-Jan-14 18:10:30

Lanhydrock house is lovely.

LeBearPolar Wed 15-Jan-14 18:07:05

We went to Mullion this summer: the Lizard Peninsula is gorgeous. Kynance Cove is the most popular beach on the peninsula but worth the hype - it's beautiful. You have to time your arrival quite carefully because it's completely covered at high tide so you need to arrive about two hours before low tide if you want a good long stay there.

DS and I really enjoyed the seal sanctuary at Gweek, and there are some pretty gardens on the other side of the Helston river (one has a maze).

We also went to Roskilly's Farm where the ice cream is made.

The coastal footpath round the peninsula is very pretty, and we walked along it to Lizard point - the southernmost mainland point of the UK.

For a bigger day out, Eden Project isn't too far away.

DS and his cousin bought wetsuits and body boards and spent most of their time in the sea. From Mullion you can walk down to Polurrian Cove - not accessible by car and therefore less busy than most - which was good for body boarding.

clairedrelincourt Wed 15-Jan-14 18:00:30

We are going to Cornwall for a week in may school holidays, we're staying at Helston on mullion holiday park. We drive so can get to places. We have an 11 year old, a 5 year old and a 16 month old. Where would people recommend going to with the kids. Eldest and 5 yo are quite adventurous so visiting landmarks etc wouldn't interest them.
Also if anyone knows of any nice beaches.
Thanks
Claire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now