Need some days out inspiration please

(9 Posts)
rightsaidthread Sat 04-Jan-14 19:52:47

Looking for some new days out this year. We are in the south east, have a car and a railcard. Inspire me

Youngest children are 8 and 2. Have Warwick Castle planned and that's about it!

Have previously been to Legoland, Harry potter tour, Thorpe park and prob a few more of the obvious attractions

Any hidden gems?

GlitzAndGiggles Sat 04-Jan-14 20:40:17

South Kensington has the science museum which is good fun and free entry and there's also natural history museum. When I was in school we went to the imperial war museum. It's in London can't remember exactly where though but it was very educational and fun

PestoStormissimos Sat 04-Jan-14 20:43:30

Paultons Park is fab for children your DC's ages.

rightsaidthread Sat 04-Jan-14 20:59:47

Brilliant thanks I will add to my list.

noramum Tue 14-Jan-14 15:19:17

We preferred Arundel Castle to Warwick, Warwick belongs to Merlin and I think it shows it.

Not sure about this year but Boadiam Castle has a medieval festival normally mid-August for 2 days. Great fun and worth the entry fee.

The British Museum has a Viking Exhibition from March onwards. You need to buy tickets and do a specific date but children are free.

Museum of London is great and has always lots on during the school holidays. Same goes for Museum of Docklands.

We found the V&A surprisingly good for a short visit. They do themed back packs for children and DD was doing them for 1hr-90 minutes, depending on the bag. Not for a full day but a rain option.

A bit far, depending where exactly you are, Colchester Zoo.

Blu Tue 21-Jan-14 21:55:16

Hever Castle is good if you go on the days with extra attractions like jousting displays like this. The rounds are beautiful take a picnic, and there is a water maze (take spare clothes)

Leeds castle is fun, maze, falcon displays, it is expensive to get in but tickets last a whole year.

Port Lympne zoo or Howletts?

I agree, Arundel Castle is good, especially if you go on a day when they have a re-enactment check dates for 2014

MegBusset Tue 21-Jan-14 21:56:46

Get a National Trust membership, loads of properties around the southeast smile

PeanutPatty Tue 21-Jan-14 21:58:50

Another vote for National Trust grin

serin Tue 21-Jan-14 22:58:17

Yet another vote for the National Trust, they actually send you magazines telling you what events are planned at their properties for the next few months so you can plan ahead!

Ours have done all sorts of stuff....deer safaris, kayaking, barefoot walks and making scarecrows etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now