Life in Newcastle or Railway museum York for a day out with 12mo?

(7 Posts)

Ds is just turned 1 and is not yet walking-if we take him out of the pushchair on days out he just wants to crawl off (is fastest crawler in the west).
Which would you recommend as the best day out for a 12 month old- centre for life or the railway museum in York? Do either have areas where he could have a crawl?
Both are 30 minutes on the train so no difference in that respect.
Tia

Thesimplethings Tue 22-Oct-13 15:03:20

Centre if life would probably be better, they have a young adventurers play section.

Bunbaker Fri 25-Oct-13 13:43:30

I love the railway museum, but a 12 month old wouldn't find it very interesting.

SHRIIIEEEKFuckingBearBlood Fri 25-Oct-13 13:44:46

Centre for life. But im biased in finding the nrm utterly and totally, brain numbingly, dull.

Thanks all, I think we will go for Life. Do you have any recommendations of somewhere nice for lunch nearby that won't recoil at the sight of a messy one year old? I haven't heard good things about the café in Life.

I'll add to the list saying that the centre for life would be the better choice. And actually the cafe is fine. Nothing special but plenty of choice both for 1 year old and you.

Railway museum is great but only for older kids. We've been recently with our 6 and 7 year old boys who had a great time but when we went a few years ago didn't get so much out of it.

Having said that there isn't masses for a non walking 1 year old in life either. There is a young kids place that has big soft blocks, a pretend shop and kitchen and other bits and pieces but he'll enjoy this less when he can't walk. Most of the main areas and the shows will probably be too old for him (we've been lots as until recently had Assn annual piss)

If going to Newcastle I'd take him to see the dinosaurs at the Hancock museum which is a short walk from haymarket metro station (2 stops North of the station) and / or the discovery museum a 10 minute walk from the station which has water play and a fun science bit which is probably a bit old for him but he'd like bits of it. Both these are free too and I think he'd get just as much out of them. Cafe in the Hancock has great cake and the best food of the 3.

Just seen from dates you've probably been and gone so hope you had fun if so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now