What would you do in Manchester for an afternoon?

(10 Posts)
UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sat 05-Oct-13 11:17:47

So for years we've been visiting the greater Manchester area to visit family and never get a chance to actually see the city.

Next week we're planning on just having a day - me and DH in Manchester. Planning on doing the Old Trafford your in the morning and then........?

Ditching the car and getting the tram in so can involve nice pubs too!

Does anyone have any ideas?

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sat 05-Oct-13 11:19:47

Oh and not shopping!!

HappyJustToBe Sat 05-Oct-13 11:20:15

I'd eat at The Deaf Institute or Trof (same menu etc). Tea and cake at The Teacup on Thomas Street.

My waistline is thankful I'm not in Manchester over regularly!

VBisme Sat 05-Oct-13 11:23:00

MOSI (museum of science and industry) is great, well worth a look, and there is a pub just around the corner called The OX, which does lovely home-cooked traditional food.

JohnnyUtah Sat 05-Oct-13 11:28:03

I wouldn't bother with MOSI without the kids. I'd get the tram from Old Trafford to Piccadilly Gardens and mosey round the interesting shops and cafes in the northern quarter there, there's an arts centre and Afflecks palace. You could go to the art gallery on Mosley st as well?

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sat 05-Oct-13 11:33:59

So many ideas! Thanks smile

Although we don't have kids yet sad but it does mean we've had to crack on and visit a few science centres ourselves so it would still be an option!

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sat 05-Oct-13 21:02:55

Anyone in the evening crowd got any ideas?

joydivisionovengloves Mon 07-Oct-13 09:47:24

The Football Museum at Orbis

joydivisionovengloves Mon 07-Oct-13 09:48:52

Urbis not Orbis. Stupid phone!

AHardDaysWrite Mon 07-Oct-13 09:53:41

Another vote for the Northern Quarter. Manchester Museum has a good natural history section and Egyptian mummies. I used to love MOSI (still go with DS for the children's experiment section) but I think some of it is a little tired and in need of updating now.

If you want a bit of culture, anything on at the Royal Exchange is usually worth seeing (nice restaurant there too).

For a proper pub, try Mr Thomas' Chop House on Cross Street.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now