Small/quirky/independent museum recommendations?

(16 Posts)

DS is still only doing half days in Reception at school, and having been used to full time day nursery is seriously bored with our pathetic entertainment attempts at home in the afternoon...

Yesterday we went into London and he LOVED the Grant Museum of Zoology which is part of UCL. He has previously also enjoyed the Kew Bridge Steam Museum, and sort of liked the London Transport museum in Covent Garden, except that he's scared of wax models of people.

He has requested for next week that we go to "a museum about houses a long time ago". Anyone know of something like this? I guess the V&A might have a domestic section, but I'd really like a smaller or quirkier sort of place. I know it is likely to have wax people if it's abut domestic life, so he'll just have to get over the heebie jeebies...!

Teapigging Sat 21-Sep-13 13:13:04

He might like the Linley Sambourne House in Holland Park, which I think is officially called the 18 Stafford Terrace museum. It's a Victorian house left more or less unchanged, with all the family's possessions etc. I think it's entry via guided tour only, and it used to have costumed staff/actors telling you about each room, but there's probably lots of information on their website.

DancingLady Sat 21-Sep-13 13:15:06

Horniman Museum in Forest Hill! Think the giant walrus is back (he has his own twitter feed...). It's super child friendly.

Geffrye Museum is all about house interiors from the past, it's in east London, Bethnal Green area I think. It's fab and also has activities for children.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 21-Sep-13 13:19:32

Pitt Rivers museum (think that's what it's called) in Oxford, the one next to the main Oxford natural history museum. Amazingly weird. Or Tring museum

fuzzpig Sat 21-Sep-13 13:19:39

He might like the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood?

Doolallydolly Sat 21-Sep-13 13:19:40

Ragged school museum in mile end is good - they do lessons in the classroom with a Victorian teacher.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sat 21-Sep-13 13:19:44

The Geffrye is what you want.

Technoprisoners Sat 21-Sep-13 13:21:00

Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green - fantastic historical dolls houses, amongst much other good stuff.

dorothyparka Sat 21-Sep-13 13:22:06

The Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields--quirky and free

Ooh all fab ideas here, just what I was looking for! The Horniman would be a bit of a trek for us (from Watford) but maybe in half term or an inset day. Thank you all v much!

r3d3 Sat 21-Sep-13 13:44:22

If you go to John soanes, the hunterian is just across the fields, it's a bit like the Grant. Grisly.

meditrina Sat 21-Sep-13 13:53:39

Hunterian might be a bit much for a smaller child, but if you like UCL museums, then you could go Egyptological and try Petrie Museum. It's certainly about people from a long time ago, but not their houses. Perhaps one to try after the urge for houses from long ago has been satisfied?

Mintyy Sat 21-Sep-13 13:57:00

You absolutely must go to the Geffrye Museum on Kingsland Road, near Shoreditch. It would be perfect!

Mintyy Sat 21-Sep-13 13:58:15
ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 21-Sep-13 14:03:57

Just adding to the clamour for the Geffrye and Horniman museums ... And Coram's Fields for outdoor play if you go to the Hunterian or John Soane.

Polyethyl Sat 21-Sep-13 14:05:42

The Hunterian does not encourage small children visiting. Wait a few years before going there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now