Mini Zoo - Sparsholt, Hampshire. Until 1st Sept 2013

(2 Posts)
KatOD Sun 25-Aug-13 22:57:47

The Aldingbourne country trust in West Sussex has a small open zoo (similar prices to this), also has open air gardens, assault course type play area and cafe/picnic area.

nannynick Sun 25-Aug-13 22:53:23

Sparsholt Animal Management Centre - Summer Opening 2013

Spent a great 3 hours at this small zoo... yes the college is registered as a zoo as they have a variety of animals on site, including Red Panda, Lemurs, various reptiles, rabbits, ducks, donkeys, rhea.

They have a leaflet for children which has some quiz questions, word search, maze... which the children loved doing.

It is a little tricky to find the college, SatNav is suggested. Once on site follow the signs for parking... we ended up going past the main (student) carpark and then turned round to get back to it. There is a campus map available from: here. From the car park to the Animal Centre is a short walk, buggy may be needed for reluctant walkers, or be prepared to carry them. Limited space at the animal centre so not ideal for big buggies, should be ok for small buggies.

Open 10am-4pm, last admission 3pm. We got there around 11am, just missed the exotic animal encounter (touching lizards and other reptiles I guess). If you want to do that, get there near opening, spaces on animal encounters are limited.

The keeper talks we enjoyed, not too long and children were encouraged to ask any question they liked, didn't even need to be about the animal that was being shown. Keeper Talks: Red Panda 12.00pm | Black Lemur 1.00pm We did not stay long enough for:
Meerkats and Marmosets 3.00pm though expect that would have been just as good a talk.

Family ticket (2 adults, 2 children OR 1 adult, 3 children) - £10.00
Adults - £4
Child (4 – 16 years) - £3
Under 3’s - Free

As this is not a visitor attraction, take your own picnic supplies. There is a food cart but don't expect too much, was not a lot of choice food wise - though the coffee I had was fine.

Video (Youtube link)
Note: Animal Management Centre Summer Opening does not include cattery/kennels.

£10 for a zoo visit which kept the 3 children I care for interested for 3 hours (including time to eat lunch) I feel is good value.

Anyone know of any other small zoos with public opening events?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now