Can anyone recommend a Theme Park in the East Midlands?

(19 Posts)
thismousebites Thu 15-Aug-13 19:52:37

Please not Drayton Manor as we have been there lots.
And after reading some threads on here about Alton Towers I have been totally put off.
Anywhere else in or nearish to Derbyshire. I don't ming a drive of say 1-1.5 hrs if necessary.

TreeFuMom Thu 15-Aug-13 19:53:21

How old are your DC?

StaticSockMonster Thu 15-Aug-13 19:59:41

What about Gullivers at Matlock?

MrsBungle Thu 15-Aug-13 20:01:04

Wheelgate north of Nottingham is quite good but it is for younger children so might not be what you are looking for?

thismousebites Fri 16-Aug-13 10:40:27

Thanks for the ideas
DCs are 11,6. & 5 so difficult to find somewhere that keeps them all happy

Charleymouse Fri 16-Aug-13 10:46:53

ooh, west midland safari park is a good day out, my 8, 6 and 3 year old like this sort of day, animals, rides giftshop picnic.

Not sure how long it would take you to get there though. We have travelled from Sheffield and its not been too bad.

Charleymouse Fri 16-Aug-13 10:50:17

Depending on how big/grown up your eldest is what about sundown

thismousebites Fri 16-Aug-13 11:16:25

Sundown would not appeal to my eldest.
WMSP looks good but is going to cost £90.00 grin.
Oh well, will just have to bite the bullet and go for it.
These days out are crippling. wish we lived near the coast.

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 16-Aug-13 11:22:57

Driving to the coast will be less than £90, surely? What I mean is why not do that instead of the over-priced theme park?

thismousebites Fri 16-Aug-13 11:29:38

I wouldn't mind driving say 30 mins to the beach but 2 hours (3 if we get stuck behind a caravan) just puts us all in a crap mood for the rest of the day.
Then there's the drive back......awful.

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 16-Aug-13 11:46:56

Yep, I understand that. Two hours from here too. I'd rather that though than pay theme park entrance costs and then stand in queues all day.

My DC liked Sundwn a lot when little, but outgrew it, as you say.

Charleymouse Fri 16-Aug-13 12:04:15

Not on commission honestly, WMSP is entry for two days (if you can manage it) www.wmsp.co.uk/home-free-return-tickets.php

Just in a similar boat as DCs are 8, 6 and 3 so trip has to appeal to everyone. Nightmare. Have not been to Sundown but may venture soon before eldest is too growed up.

thismousebites Fri 16-Aug-13 12:07:10

I know Alton towers is expensive but I would love to take the DCs somewhere different with lots of rides for all of them.
Drayton Manor was good for that as it suited a mix of ages, but we've been there lots already.
But the reviews I've read about Alton Towers puts me right off. Is it any good going on say a school day? My 3 all have an inset day before they go back to school so if all the other schools in the area go back earlier then it might be less busy???
Think I'm clutching at straws here.

JustBecauseICan Fri 16-Aug-13 12:09:52

Twycross?

serin Sat 17-Aug-13 15:02:33

We went to Alton Towers (courtesy of Sun newspaper vouchers) recently and it was absolutely fine. We did have to queue a little bit but certainly not as bad as say Disney or Legoland.

Have you considered RAF Cosford? no rides but amazing aircraft on display and its all completely free?

clottedcreamteaplease Sat 17-Aug-13 22:15:06

Twin lakes

thismousebites Sun 18-Aug-13 07:10:06

Twin Lakes, yes, we went there a couple of years ago. It was really good actually. They have another theme park somewhere with lots of water stuff, might try that one.

50BalesOfHay Sun 18-Aug-13 07:16:15

Waterworld stoke on Trent might not be too far?

thismousebites Sun 18-Aug-13 07:29:59

Oh yes, that's another one. Thankssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now