Any one done mount Snowdon with their dc?

(15 Posts)
worley Mon 12-Aug-13 20:55:31

Evening..
Im hoping to get to Wales in the next few weeks and have always wanted to see Snowdon. I was planning on taking the dc (14, 7) up on the train and walking down again by myself.
For anyone who's done this.. How long does this walk down take roughly ? And what is the best / safest route to take.
Any other recommendations / info I may need?
TIA

worley Mon 12-Aug-13 21:38:40

Bump

mejypoo Mon 12-Aug-13 21:47:12

Hello,

With kids you are probably better taking the llanberis path which is longer but easiest. However if they are fairly fit and want something challenging i would go with the Miners path, only to go up not down. We walked as a group, my youngest nephew was approx 8-9 years old and they loved it.

You mentioned going up in the train which is also a great way, and all 3 of you could walk down the llanberis path which will be approx 3 hrs.

Enjoy

mejypoo Mon 12-Aug-13 21:47:55

Llanberis path is the one that is used the most, safest and easiest

worley Mon 12-Aug-13 22:03:21

Thankyou. Is it signpostd or do they sell relevant maps there ?

It isn't sign posted but basically it follows the railway track for most of it. The only slightly tricky bit is not ending up on ranger. Don't cross over the rail track near the top!!! We ended up with two groups following us and using our map as they'd aimed for llanberis and got hopelessly lost and landed on ranger in the fog.
Really though, you should have a map and compass, if it goes wrong it can go horribly wrong.

mejypoo Mon 12-Aug-13 22:09:25

If you are just walking down then the llanberis path will be easy to spot, it's the one with the least incline that has got the most traffic/amount of people.

That's what the two groups we ended up leading down thought. Other than the fog, I have no idea how they missed their path, you have to make an active turn to get onto ranger.

OldBeanbagz Mon 12-Aug-13 22:30:23

Did it recently via Crib Goch (tricky route) with DC who are 11 & 8.

If you're novice walkers, how about Pyg Track up and Miners down? Make sure you take plenty of warm clothing. We were there on a very sunny day but it was chilly/windy at the top. Hot chocolate in the cafe helped smile

Parking is pretty limited at the pass too so we used the park & ride.

worley Mon 12-Aug-13 22:59:24

We have to get train up as ds1 is a train spotter and will be a big thing for him.. So I would like to walk down but little apprehensive as I will be the junky adult there.. Not done map reading since girl guides about. 25 yrs ago.. Ds1 did do hikes in Derbyshire with scouts but not sure I want to rely on his map reading skills!!

where abouts is the park and ride? We're staying near mold and to get to llanberis is about a 90 min drive.. So aiming to get to there for a ten am. If parking is an issue then I don't want to miss train so park and ride could be a good solution.

As we live in East Anglia we're not really mountain climbers but are used to walking the fields here.. But still a easy route will be best and safest for us I feel..

Thank you for all your help so far smile

Fairyegg Tue 13-Aug-13 19:32:25

A 14 and 7 year old should be able to walk down the llanberis path quite easily with good footwear. You can buy loads of guidebooks for walking up snowdon locally, the llanberis path is pretty easy to spot though. Lots of places in llanberis offer all day parking for around £4 so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't bother with the park and ride, thats for people who want to walk the pyg or miners track. Llanberis is only small so it's easy to reach the train station from anywhere you find to park. The train can get quite busy. I would also pack waterproofs!

worley Tue 13-Aug-13 21:32:59

Thankyou all
I've booked our tickets.. smile gone for single as really want to walk it. And only got half hour at summit with train..
Both ds2 and I have walking boots. Ds1 will have to wear his trainers or dm's.
we all have our own walking rucksacks so will stock them up and think we'll have a pretty good day together.
£4 not to bad to park.. Thought it would be about £15!!

Fairyegg Wed 14-Aug-13 21:13:36

You'll have a great time. Let us know how you get on.

NulliusInBlurba Wed 14-Aug-13 21:20:50

You'll be fine! We started walking with the DC when DD2 was 7 and DD1 was 11 - that summer they managed a walk with 700m altitude gain up and down in the French Alps with no problem, so walking down the Llanberis Path should be easy as anything for your two. Trainers are fine for an easy short walk like that (DMs less so) - also remember a good supply of sweeties for a quick energy and psychological boost along the way. I went up the Llanberis and down the Pyg Track and there were plenty of smallish children being dragged (not literally) up the (considerably steeper) Pyg route.

worley Fri 23-Aug-13 20:18:20

Hello all.. Just reporting back..well with all my planning we didn't go up as the weather was awful and they would only let the trains up the mountain to the half way point sad we decided to do that bit of the ride and went back down again. Couldn't see a lot because of the low clouds and the rain.
But we will definitely be back next year.. Both ds's were dissapointed not to walk it but hey ho..
Sod's law the Tuesday and Thursday was beautiful weather.. Had a great time though. LOVE Wales smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now