Fun things to do in the Peak District

(45 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Thu 25-Jul-13 20:18:58

With 5 and 7yo Dcs?

Based nr Matlock but planning to travel around a lot! We're house hunting and holidaying at the same time and want to check out different areas!

Dcs want to do the Height of Abraham (or whatever it is called) with the cable car, and we're seeing Horrible Histories at Chatsworth one evening, but have no other plans.

And any recommendations for nice (but child friendly) pubs or cafes would be great! Also, and good fish and chip shops (we don't have any near us at all).

serin Sat 17-Aug-13 14:57:10

Perevril Castle near Hope has great views and is a challenge for little legs.

Blue John mines good for rainy days.

amandaingham Sat 17-Aug-13 13:08:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 31-Jul-13 17:15:18

2 maybes.

A full thread will follow in a few days seeking the advice and wisdom of MNetters once I am back home with proper Internet access.

Got soaked to our very cores today. Chatsworth abandoned in favour if caves.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 30-Jul-13 11:54:11

But have you found a house yet??

MrsJohnDeere Sun 28-Jul-13 18:35:58

So far we have visited Chatsworth farm and playground (fantastic), Bakewell (meh, underwhelmed), Bolsover Castle (excellent), Harwick Hall grounds (good),and explored Ashbourne.

chosenone Sun 28-Jul-13 09:17:37

Buxton is a bit further up but a lovely day out. Pavilion Gardens are a beautiful park with a lovely family restaurant near the gorgeous Opera House. The dome (university of Derby) is next to it and open to the public so you can go in and see theUK's largest unsupported dome. Lovely cafe too. A little red tour bus tours all the sights.
Also near to Ashbourne is Carsington Water a huge resevoir with sailing and boat hire, a couple of walks/ nature trails and a staggered play ground. It has lpts of lovely outdoor space and picnic areas.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 26-Jul-13 10:27:33

good luckwink

MrsJohnDeere Fri 26-Jul-13 07:34:17

Fantastic ideas, thank you everyone flowers

House-hunting all over the place - Belper, nr Ashbourne, Melbourne, Tansley, and even into Leics. Looking for lovely villages with good schools (a thread for another day smile).

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 26-Jul-13 01:09:13

best fish n chips are Georges in Belper but Truckers (i think it is called that) in matlock bath are good. the matlock balti is great!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 26-Jul-13 00:41:08

Ok, I am your neighbour for the weekend! Rainy =, Monkeys softplay or chucklebutties, Matlock Bath is fun - like a tacky sea side resort with no sea but get there early or it is full of bikers and busy and loud. Chatsworth is wonderful and there. is a cute farm park called matlock farm park. Bakewell os lovely, Ashbourne too. The farm shop at chatsworth is great if you want some nice but expensive nibbles. Tramway museum good, gullivers very good for that age, massive car boot sale at tansley on sunday morning if that's you thing (urgh, not for me). Wirksworth is a nice little town. Where abouts are. you house hunting? could walk along cromford Canal & have a meal at the cafe there (actually there are 2). Ritz cinema in Belper is lovely - retro vibe. oh gosh I could go on and on.

LeGavrOrf Fri 26-Jul-13 00:24:37

Oh it all sounds lovely. It's such a lovely part of the world.

janji Fri 26-Jul-13 00:21:14

Le Gav you'd love it!! We went there on Saturday and then to Crich. It was the Edwardian weekend with horse drawn trams and a Titanic exhibition. They do themed weekends every so often and kids craft sessions throughout the Summer. My 2 dc love the nighttime Halloween special!

janji Fri 26-Jul-13 00:19:12

Oo just remembered, there's a cool carting place at Dunston on outskirts of Chesterfield. Think it's called Avago Carting!

LeGavrOrf Fri 26-Jul-13 00:18:22

I want a scone now.

Am seriously thinking of driving to Derbyshire on Saturday now.grin

janji Fri 26-Jul-13 00:17:27

I kid you not they're the size of side plates; homemade and served with jam and cream! Only recently discovered this hidden gem myself after a friends fil fitted out the tea room. The owners live in the house in the yard. Sooo friendly and make amazing homemade cakes, hams, chutneys etc!

LeGavrOrf Fri 26-Jul-13 00:08:21

Scones!

janji Fri 26-Jul-13 00:06:25

Op there's a fab farm shop with small indoor and outdoor tea room who home make the biggest scones I've ever seen. Take the road out of Matlock towards Tansley and fork left after Matlock garden centre. Take the first left (it's signposted). Lovely afternoon teas and so child friendly. It's only about 10 mins from Crich too!

LeGavrOrf Fri 26-Jul-13 00:03:33

I am the same about my home county, if you ever go to north Devon I'm your man grin

janji Fri 26-Jul-13 00:02:42

I'm a wealth of (useless?) info about my home county.

LeGavrOrf Fri 26-Jul-13 00:00:11

I never knew that about the unseasoned timber. It looks beautiful.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:58:26

Spire was built using unseasoned timber by mistake hence it warped over time (or you can believe the myth that the devil caught it with his tail and that caused it to twist)!!?

Midland railway is also a Matlock based steam train in Matlock (near Sainsburys).

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:57:21

Haha at being coaxed down. I felt the same when I went up the London Monument, the spiral stairs scared me to death on the way down and I walked down very slowly.

Derbyshire is so beautiful, I haven't been for years and now I want to go again.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:55:34

Was planned. Had a midday supervisor helping me and she on,y made it halfway before having to be coaxed down!!

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:54:48

Chatsworth farmyard small but cute and lovely Chatsworth estate farm shop in nearby Pilsley.

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:54:35

Oh how great! Would live to go up that steeple. Was it a mistake or designed like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now