Fun things to do in the Peak District

(45 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Thu 25-Jul-13 20:18:58

With 5 and 7yo Dcs?

Based nr Matlock but planning to travel around a lot! We're house hunting and holidaying at the same time and want to check out different areas!

Dcs want to do the Height of Abraham (or whatever it is called) with the cable car, and we're seeing Horrible Histories at Chatsworth one evening, but have no other plans.

And any recommendations for nice (but child friendly) pubs or cafes would be great! Also, and good fish and chip shops (we don't have any near us at all).

NoComet Thu 25-Jul-13 23:31:36

Go early and take dry clothes, you can paddle in the cascades (staircase water feature). I never got the algae stains out DDs shorts. There is also an adventure play ground.

Brilliant place, way less stuffy than the NT.

I'm sure you know you must drive along the road past the Cat and fiddle pub, the view is amazing, even DDs say wow.

Bakewell used to be nice and have a good park, but I haven't been for a very long time.

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:34:51

I agree go to Chatsworth in the day. Not necessarily to go I the house, but the gardens are wonderful. I thought it would be stuffy but it isn't at all. Lots of children and families playing ball games and in the cascade thing. The gardens are simply beautiful and it is a lovely friendly atmosphere. Also there is a farm park thing and an adventure playground iirc. Definitely recommend Chatsworth in the day. So perhaps you could go early on the horrible histories day or go another day.

I have always wanted to go on the Heights of Aabraham. grin

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:37:19

If it absolutely pisses it down you could go to the dry ski slope at Castleford (south Yorkshire, not a million miles away) plus there is a skyline walk thingy there. Dd loved it (cost a bloody fortune though). But if the weather is good you can go on lovely walks in the peaks, it is so beautiful. I love Derbyshire. Plus such friendly people ime.

Clary Thu 25-Jul-13 23:39:51

Gullivers at Matlock Bath is great for that age if they like theme parks. I know it's seen better days in décor terms, but I have never had to queue there and my DC used to love it when they were younger.

There's loads of lovely walking of course; Dovedale and St Cloud are real honeypots but if you want to avoid crowds there are lots of other places.

If you are in the NT then Hardwick Hall has lots of holiday events on. Bolsover Castle is nice too.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:46:56

Gullivers kingdom in Matlock Bath. Blue John , treat Cliff and Speedwell (underground boat) caverns in Castleton. Lovely fish and chip shop in Bakewell near the police station (they have a recently opened restaurant upstairs). The park in Matlock has a good but small kids paddle pool and motor boats. Little monkeys play centre near Darley Dale. Ice Sheffield is a great ice rink. Matlock farm park. Crich tramway village (great wood walk as well as teams; can borrow activity back packs for free and one entry fee allows you unlimited return visits for 12 months). Walk along comfort canal. Hathersage outdoor heated pool (not far from Castleton and caverns). Bolsover Castle. Hardwick Hall (fab pub called Hardwick Inn at bottom). Tomorrow is the last day of well dressing/flower festival/scarecrows displays in village of Heath (straight off M1 J29) which is 5 mins from Hardwick Hall.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:47:44

Treak cliff not treat cliff! Sorry!

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:48:15

Trams not teams!

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:48:54

Cromford not comfort.

Typing is pants on my ipad; sorry!blush

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:49:25

Bloody hell Janjj now I want to go to the peaks on holiday!

Clary Thu 25-Jul-13 23:49:41

OOooh yes crich Tramway is fab!

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:50:00

I have never been to Hardwicke Hall and would love to.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:50:39

Queens Park in Chesterfield quite nice; fun run on the 4th Aug if you're still around. Children receive medals30etc for taking part.

Clary Thu 25-Jul-13 23:51:42

Oh I love Hardwick tho the OP's DC might be a bit bored by the house; the gardens are lovely tho and the way it says ES on all the roofs smile

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:52:08

I love Chesterfield. I had one of the best nights out of my life there, which sounds so sad to admit, but it is such a friendly town. I also love that church steeple.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:52:18

Hardwick Hall Inn is so nice as well; very 'untouched by time' and family run with big garden at rear. All local foods etc. can't you tell I live near there!! I moved away for 8 years but always knew I'd come back!

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:53:01

That's what I love about Hardwicke, the ES on the roofs. Good old Bess. I read a biography of her and she sounds utterly fantastic.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:53:05

Crooked Spure in Chesterfield?! I took a class of 7 yrs olds right up and onto the open top of the steeple!!

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:53:15

Spire!!!

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:53:49

I am spelling Hardwick wrong blush

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:54:35

Oh how great! Would live to go up that steeple. Was it a mistake or designed like that?

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:54:48

Chatsworth farmyard small but cute and lovely Chatsworth estate farm shop in nearby Pilsley.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:55:34

Was planned. Had a midday supervisor helping me and she on,y made it halfway before having to be coaxed down!!

LeGavrOrf Thu 25-Jul-13 23:57:21

Haha at being coaxed down. I felt the same when I went up the London Monument, the spiral stairs scared me to death on the way down and I walked down very slowly.

Derbyshire is so beautiful, I haven't been for years and now I want to go again.

janji Thu 25-Jul-13 23:58:26

Spire was built using unseasoned timber by mistake hence it warped over time (or you can believe the myth that the devil caught it with his tail and that caused it to twist)!!?

Midland railway is also a Matlock based steam train in Matlock (near Sainsburys).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now