Rainy day recommendations in Oxford

(7 Posts)
happyhorse Wed 10-Jul-13 12:53:20

We're going camping soon near Oxford and had in mind to go to the Oxford Natural History Museum, but I've just seen on the website that they're closed in 2103. Can anyone recommend any other museums or attractions that a 5 year old might enjoy, preferably indoors so we have a back up plan for rainy days.

Cakebaker35 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:14:47

Loads to see and do, try the ashmolean museum which also has a great cafe, Pitts rivers museum and also museum of modern art where there is another great cafe! Try looking up the story museum too, they run lots of events. Botanic gardens too as they have indoor exotic plant houses, like being in the jungle for kids. Worth looking up the oxford playhouse too to see if they have any shows on for kids in the summer, they usually do. You definitely won't be bored!

happyhorse Wed 10-Jul-13 20:16:20

Thanks Cakebaker. I'm liking your attention to the cafes there grin

heritagewarrior Wed 10-Jul-13 20:39:38

Oxford Unlocked at Oxford Castle - hands on museum with lots of exhibits to play with and costumed guides who take you round in character. Parking, railway station and buses all nearby....

joanofarchitrave Wed 10-Jul-13 20:59:46

family friendly museums leaflet

Kids Club at the Phoenix cinema

Family shows at the Oxford theatres - if you coincide with a Plays Out tent, make sure you catch it smile

Family events at the Oxfordshire museum in Woodstock - a bit of a way out but it's gorgeous,and it's the town Blenheim Palace is in - expensive but lots of fun.

joanofarchitrave Wed 10-Jul-13 21:01:49

the Outdoor Pool - still nice when it's raining a bit, and in a park with free splashpark and playground.

happyhorse Thu 11-Jul-13 17:37:41

Thanks for the links. I discovered the Plays Out tent online yesterday and will definitely be trying to catch that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now