Day in London this summer with 5-year-old DS and 71-year-old aunt

(9 Posts)
Zipitydooda Mon 08-Jul-13 21:20:29

Corams Field is good for a break from the noise and its pretty near the British museum which my children really enjoyed.

Florin Mon 08-Jul-13 20:56:18

If you are going by train you can go to London zoo on a 2 for 1 offer, just google it and it should come up.

noramum Mon 08-Jul-13 20:53:16

Battersea Zoo? I have never been there though.

You could do the V&A and then the zoo as an extra for animal-loving aunt.

juneau Sun 07-Jul-13 11:08:44

Ooh the V&A sounds fun - I haven't been there in donkey's years. I wonder if my aunt would like it though? She's very much into cute, cuddly wuddly animals and not much else sigh

I'll look into the Museum of Childhood - thanks.

noramum Sat 06-Jul-13 14:50:40

The V&A does bag packs for children, I did the Time Traveller one with DD and it was good fun. It lasts about 1 hours plus but you go through various areas so spot also a lot along the way.

Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green?

The Wetland Centre in SW?

howcomes Thu 04-Jul-13 02:03:25

Loaf of bread in St James park to feed all the birds? I used to love doing that as a kid and there are lots of benches to sit down and have a rest.
Also science museum?

BananaPie Thu 04-Jul-13 01:53:52

Check for 2 for 1 offers for the zoo and the Tower of London and sea life. Google "go by train 2 for 1"

Or for free: The Museum of London, Greenwich (observatory / maritime museum), Geffreye museum, Bank of England museum.

Alonglongway Thu 04-Jul-13 01:16:49

Walk the other way from blackfriars and head for south bank - always good stuff there - real food festival is Fri/Sat/Sun pretty much every weekend

juneau Wed 03-Jul-13 18:15:27

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

I've suggested Tate Modern + river boat. I think DS would enjoy both and the Tate is free. Aunt will be staying in London, but DS and I have to travel in by train and we've got a direct line to London Blackfriars, so it's also really nice and easy to get to. However, aunt doesn't seem very keen on modern art and has suggested London Zoo, but it's £40 just to get in, so bugger that! DS only went to a zoo at half-term anyway.

I used to live in London, so feel like I know it pretty well, but if anyone has any bright ideas for how to entertain such a diversely aged party without spending a fortune I'd be very grateful. Large amounts of walking are a no-no as aunt walks very slowly and DS doesn't have much stamina over long distances. I'll be taking DS to the Natural History Museum on another day as he loves dinosaurs, but aunt doesn't believe they ever existed hmm, so that's not really an option with her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now