Is Legoland really THAT good?

(13 Posts)
holidaybug Thu 04-Jul-13 21:50:12

No, it's not. I won our tickets in a competition - if I hadn't, I would have felt well ripped off. As others have said, I got pestered for Lego from the moment we arrived and then DS had little interest in the rides as he wanted to build his new Lego set. There are some nice rides but they were quite short and the queues were long. We took a picnic - I would never eat the food in any theme park as it is all rubbish.

GobblersKnob Thu 04-Jul-13 21:47:14

flatmum you are clearly a legoland pro grin

<scribbles in notebook>

We usually do miniland picnic, but may consider pizza now, I have done a few of the restaurants and found them both expensive and shite, not a good combo in anyone's book, but admit have never set foot in that one.

Mine love the wood adventure playground thing, but I always end up dragging them off as I feel they should be doing something more 'lego-y' grin

flatmum Thu 04-Jul-13 08:34:50

it works! the pay and collect bit is at the back of the shop right hand side.

if boxes are small enough you can even put in rucksack to magically appear as you go past the shop at the end without actually having to set foot in it. It is way more pleasant at the beginning of the day as you can actually have a good look round and identify which are the cheapest bit of Lego see what new Lego is out.

if your child is only just or not quite 1.2m I also recomed going to guest services at the beginning and getting a wristband to say he's tall enough so you don't have to argue the toss on each ride with 16y olds. you can also pick up a parent swap wristband here so adults can take turns going on with kids without having to requeue again.

the food is rubbish but there is one acceptable place IMO if you don't want to take a picnic (eat at mini land to kill 2 birds with one stone lunch and looking at miniland without losing too much time for rides). That is the pizza and pasta restaurant in the downtown middle bit opposite the pirate ship show and next to the coffee shop. you pay per person and can eat as much pizza as you want and it is actually quite good. there is Lego to play with. you may or may not want to decide that only the children are hungry and jut pay for them but then "have to finish off" their last (eighth) unwanted slice to keep costs down.

only thing not sorted now are the queues which I ha e no solution for unfortunately. some people but queuebots but I find them extortionate and can't bring myself to do it. only think I will say is there are plenty of things to do that don't have long queues to take a break from it all like the Star Wars walk through exhibit and the outdoor play areas (mini land one good esp if nice day as has water cannons etc and there is a good climbing walkway one near the pirate ship). we usually go and get a few easy wins at the area with the Carosel and the balloon Ferris wheel as the queues aren't very big usually.

enjoy!

GobblersKnob Wed 03-Jul-13 17:28:26

flatmum that is indeed genius, I didn't even know you could collect later.

happyhorse Wed 03-Jul-13 12:45:58

Flatmum that is genius! I hate that sodding shop at the end of a long day.

flatmum Wed 03-Jul-13 09:14:33

tesco club card vouchers. it is pretty cool. queues and food bad tho. try and go mid-week.

my tried and tested approach to the Lego shops problem is go to the main shop at the entrance at te beginning before you do anything else. that way you can actually see what's on the shelf (it bedlam at te end of the day). allow each child to choose one small box of Lego (or figures which aren't as pricey). tell them they will be allowed to come back at the end to get this specific thing IF and ONLY IF they are good and behave well all day and don't come off every ride pleasing and moaning to buy Lego in the ride shops. then you send them outside with dad or whoever while you nip to the loo or something. then go into nice quiet shop, buy said Lego toys, pay easily at your leisure and convenience (this will take an hour at the end of the day) and leave the bag at the collection point at the back of the shop for a quick dash in to collect on your way out.

GobblersKnob Wed 03-Jul-13 09:02:53

If you've got a bit of time oh your hands, there is a Legoland top tips thread, which has lots of advice on.

Yes, the hotel is silly money shock

Songbird Wed 03-Jul-13 07:54:45

Thanks all, top tips there. I wasn't intending to pay full price, don't worry grin . We live in mid Wales so it's a trek as well. I really want to stay in the hotel with those cool rooms but the price made me want to weep! Crazy money innit?

GobblersKnob Tue 02-Jul-13 18:09:10

Kellogs cereal boxes have vouchers atm for adults go free with a paying child, which makes the cost just about bearable.

We have been five or six times and it has never got stale for the dc's they love it, (they are now 8 and 5). I think there are bits that are brilliant; mini world and all the other stuff made out of Lego, the pirate shop, duplo land, esp. the water play, some of the rides. And things that piss me off no end, some of the rides are shite, the queues, the amount of lego shops at the end of sodding rides, so kids spend half the day pleading for lego sets, when there is a massive lego shop at the end and you constantly assure them that they will have everything in there, the fact that you pay a million pounds to get in and there is stuff in there you have to pay to go on.

And the food is fuck awful, really, really bad.

But I would recommend it (and am going in three weeks grin).

MrsSlocombesPussy Tue 02-Jul-13 17:59:21

If you have some Tesco Clubcard points saved up you can buy Legoland tickets with those.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 02-Jul-13 17:58:11

First time yes. but take your own food and drink, as what is there is rubbish and expensive. Do not buy toys in the shops.

caz05 Tue 02-Jul-13 17:50:30

In my View it is definitely not worth paying full price for. If you can get any discount vouchers then it is worth it. My 8 year old still loves legoland

Songbird Tue 02-Jul-13 11:04:14

Just that really. DD is asking to go and take a friend in the summer hols and it's soooo expensive. They're both 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now