brighton beach - and sand...and getting there...

(10 Posts)
mybabywakesupsinging Sun 16-Jun-13 00:49:02

Seeking some advice- thought we might take the children on a day trip as the train from London is very cheap.
I know the beach is stones but I've heard there's a park area with sand to play with - does anyone know whereabouts it is?
Also is there a bus from railway station to beach, or is it walkable?
thank you

LittleTyga Sun 16-Jun-13 01:03:28

Its a 5 minute walk from the station to the sea front. The sand pit and paddling pool is on the sea front - if you turn right when you reach the bottom of the hill/sea front it's a few minutes walk.

CrystalDeCanter Sun 16-Jun-13 01:14:23

Blimey, I'd say it's a bit longer than 5 mins from the station to the sea front unless either have moved since I last lived there. It's easily walkable but more like 20/25 mins.

The playground there is lovely.

LittleTyga Sun 16-Jun-13 01:17:55

No? really? maybe 10 but never 20? Either way it is walkable - why don't you look on Google maps?

CrystalDeCanter Sun 16-Jun-13 01:22:10

LittleTyga, you might be right grin. I moved away from Brighton 7 years ago so my memory is probably dodgy. It's a lovely walk anyway - down through the North Laine and Lanes.

HidingUnderMyDuvet Sun 16-Jun-13 01:27:36

The playground is lovely! There's a paddling pool at this time of year, so take swimming costumes. It's near to West Pier (the burnt down one). I'd say it's a 20 minute walk from the station, but maybe longer with little ones. Lots to see on the walk though!

CrystalDeCanter Sun 16-Jun-13 01:50:07

mybaby I last went to Brighton with my dds in Oct last year, we had a fab day out and went to the Sealife Centre - WHICH WE LOVED, the Palace Pier and ate fish and chips in the rain <natch>, and went on the Brighton Eye. Cos a bluddy fortune but we'd come all the way from Oz and I wanted them to love the town as much as I do. A fab fab fab place for a day trip.

CrystalDeCanter Sun 16-Jun-13 01:54:18

Sorry op for raving on about things that cost $$$s, that was really thoughtless blush there's lots of lovely cheap/free things to do too. The pebbly beach is fun - making pebble towers, paddling etc etc. Lots of buskers etc on the seafront - it's really busy and fun - heaps to see.

Sand: take some talc. Apply to damp sandy limbs and sand falls off and doesn't get stuck in car for ever more.

Enjoy your day out smile

mybabywakesupsinging Thu 20-Jun-13 23:44:57

sorry not to get back sooner (caught the children's latest virus-thing). I thought it looked like a bit of a trek on google maps (carrying the enormous quantities of food required by small boys!).
I think we'll go on a day when the weather isn't amazing - should have plenty of choice there - so that the park isn't packed out if the children are pining for sand as well as sea.
Fish and chips on the beach would be very popular.
Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now